flex head torque wrench worth the $? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 08:40 PM
www.bigblock67chevelle.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
BTW, How old are you?
Ha Ha, Ha Ha, oh crap your reading my mind. I've got 3 grown kids and a 5 year old by a second marrige and he makes more sence then this guy. It's like talking to a 4 year old. I'm going to drop it I've proved my point by him NOT being able to answer my question. Carry on Oldman. I'm looking forward to this.

Advertisement

Last edited by Bad Rat 414; 11-08-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 PM

BadRat/Oldred-
Anyone with common sense and mechanical ability can understand your arguements and will agree with your statements.The guy who is giving you all the BS has been very close to being banned by Jon in the past for his antagonistic and arguementative ways.Some people never learn.
If we ignore him,I'm sure he'll go away-

George
Old 11-08-2005, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Fast, I probably should have my butt kicked for getting into this but I can assure you I am through at this point,

Rat, When you contacted Snap-On did you think to ask them for some replacement handle sensors?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:57 PM

Oldred-
Look at it this way-you guys put to bed some old wive's tales and common misconceptions about torque wrenches,impact wrenches with extensions and which end of a torque wrench to use to club an a-hole.

George
Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Put to bed? LOL, has Snap-on responded yet? What were they asked? Did you ask them if it affects Tq reading depending on where you hold the wrench?
The FACTS are:
that a socket extension WILL affect Tq readings, albiet from different causes.
an extension {socket} really affects Tq transmission when using a hammer style impact wrench.
a Tq wrench will show different Tq reading depending on where the handle is held.
a flex head will affect the Tq readings {althought it is little with a 15* wrench... where your hand is placed can have a greater effect}.

Last edited by NXS; 11-09-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

NXS, As I said I am through arguing about this but you need to read what that link says about "real world" as it is very important to what you are trying to say. You are again confusing one action with another. Will inertial forces affect an extension on a properly used torque wrench? Sure it will,(are you happy now I agree with you) any time mass is set in motion inertial forces come into play. This will affect a properly used torque wrench about like a fly landing on your head will affect your bathroom scale. DANG IT! RAMBLING AGAIN!

As far as your "facts" that proves (as if we needed more proof) just how Little you know about the basic laws of physics and common sense in general.

Have a good day

Last edited by oldred; 11-09-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Will inertial forces affect an extension on a properly used torque wrench? Sure it will,(are you happy now I agree with you)
Yup, thanks!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

You are welcome Mr Einstein
Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

No, Snap-On never did respond. I had my doubts they would. There was no money in it for them.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

I am not surprised they did not respond I am sure they get hundreds of E-mails everyday and they do not have time to spend explaining something as obvious as that, But it was worth a try anyway. It really does not matter since guys like that know they are wrong but will not admit it no matter how much proof you show them and nothing anyone can say will make any difference so I gave him a chance to bail and he took it. I hope this is the end of this nonsense.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:41 AM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat 414
You haven't answered my question yet. How does the torque wrench handle know where your hand is? It's a hollow piece of steel. Here's my torque wrench. How does it know where I hold it?
I've got the exact same wrench. Well it started out life as a Cornwell then I had to send it in 'cause some dufus decided to fog up the lense cleaning it with carb cleaner for me when he was done borrowing it. Now it's a Snap-on (was the only cover the service center had on hand to replace my fogged up one), who'da ever guessed it was a Precision Instruments brand all this time.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Best, You hit up on something very important about torque wrences and that is DON'T LOAN them! It may be ok if it is someone you know and trust but someone who would do sometning like what happened to your wrench is also apt to use it for a breaker handle and apply torque WAY past it's setting or even past it's design limits! I would never loan my torque wrench to anyone and I would not trust a wrench that has been used by someone that I do not trust to maintain it correctly. NEVER trust a torque wrench from a rental place because you have no idea how bad it has been abused!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

Guess what I just found on the net....LOL, I just couldn't quit.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=1&c=y
Old 11-15-2005, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

In a "perfect" world they don't. And I'm not saying that an extension is some magic item that soaks up chi from the unverse storing it until the end of time. I'm saying that it will affect theamount of Tq the bolt receives and what the wrench registers.
If you're so eager and really want to know go Tq a 9/16 head 3/8" bolt then add a 48" extension and do the same. Use it like you normally would, not like you're taking a test.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Interesting argument. We have about 200 torque wrenches here at work that we have to certify for accuracy within +/- 10% every 3 to 6 months depending on application and 3 torque analyzers we use to verify them that are certified to NIST (National Institute of Standards and Traceability)annually. Tracking the wrenches and keeping the certifications up is part of my responsibility. One analyzer is a Skidmore-Wilhelm T3000 Digital and it just came back from it's annual certification to NIST, it's about as accurate as anything you'll find outside an actual cetification lab. I'll bring my MAC torque wrench and 24" long 3/8" extension tomorrow and do a quicky comparison at 3 different settings with and without the extension and post the results. It's time to check mine anyway.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.