Hot Rod Forum banner

flexalite 180 - 185

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  brainsboy 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the flexalite 180 or 185? I ordered one today and was just wondering how well they work. I'm using a single 16" electric fan now (1100 cfm) which is mounted directly against the radiator as a pusher and its having a hard time keeping the idle at 180 degrees. The flexalite is listed as a 3300 cfm fan, and also will cover the entire radiator not the just the middle portion. I bought the 180 which is a puller as I have read a puller works better than a pusher. Either way I do not have room for a normal mechanical fan setup. I have heard mixed reviews on the flexalite 180

Ben M.

#2 ·
Is the "pusher fan" a true pusher or did you turn the blades around? If you did that and didnt have the motor turn the opposite direction, then its still a puller. Also, why is it important that the motor stay at 180 deg? Most motors dont make their peak HP till they hit 200 deg. 200-220 is not hot for a motor. It's when you start pushing 240-250 , then you have to worry.

#3 ·
Ben,
Long time no post. Glad to see you are still playing with toys too.

I have the FLX-180 (Extreme) on my current project. I haven't put any real drive time on it yet so, I can't say how well it will work. It's all I have room for so, it has to work. With the garage idle/tuning time, so far so good. I did drive it down the street and back. If this fan shroud gives you full coverage it should do the trick. It fits my radiator perfect. I have my doubts if it is actually moving 3300 CFM. I have run the Lincoln Mark VIII fans before and they move a LOT of air, and they claim to be 3300-3500CFM.

#4 ·
sunsetdart said:
Is the "pusher fan" a true pusher or did you turn the blades around? If you did that and didnt have the motor turn the opposite direction, then its still a puller. Also, why is it important that the motor stay at 180 deg? Most motors dont make their peak HP till they hit 200 deg. 200-220 is not hot for a motor. It's when you start pushing 240-250 , then you have to worry.

I would have to question that motors run better at 200-220. All my motors ran better times when they were just getting into the 160-180 range at the line.

It's not that I have to run 180 degrees. Im just conserned that its 70 degrees outside, Im not running a theromstat, and it takes 15 minutes to go from 200 to 180 degrees for a motor thats just sitting idling. This should take less than 2 minutes for a good cooling system. I live in Florida so I have to make this thing work for 95 degree weather.

The fan was a pusher fan originaly, it was mounted directly against the radiator (no shroud) its an advanced auto 16" fan listed at 1100 CFM. Thats why I bought the flexalite 180 because it has a built in shroud. I just wasnt sure if having a fan with the built in shroud will make a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.