Hot Rod Forum banner

Flexible LS engine

6K views 48 replies 9 participants last post by  SinistrV6 
#1 ·
Hi
I have a two part Question, I am mocking up an engine install on a 1936 ford truck seen in the upper left photo on this post.
What I have now is a mock up 350 engine, Headers and Trans that I had but was thinking of using a LS1…2 engines.
Question: The 350 fits with room to spare inside the frame but would an LS? I will probably sell the 350 setup and get a LS if I decide to go that way.
Question: This truck is not exactly a Hot Rod so horse Power is not as important as cool looking. So what year or model of the LS engines would give me around 300 ++ HP but be flexible using aftermarket computer programming systems?

Iceman

#27 ·
Oscar, finally getting back to work on my '36. Did you fab the pads that those mounts are sitting on or did you buy 'em? If you bought 'em, where?

Thanks,
Richard

#29 ·
^^^^^
Looks really good! Did you use the 'Vette style mounts? Hard to tell in the pics.

#32 ·
Those are the same mounts that I just ordered. Did you use the LS2 Corvette pan or the LS1 Corvette pan with the "batwings"?

#33 ·
Ls1 vette. It worked perfect for my car, almost like it was made for it. I ran a TH350 trans and got the adapter from summit which included a flywheel and spacer. Lokar dipstick to get rid of the ugly one and lots of little tricks here and there to make it look good. I also got the adapters from summit so my autometer gauges would work with the LS motor.

#34 ·
Got any pics from underneath? I was afraid the "batwings" would interfere with space for something (exhaust/brakes/steering) later. I measured, and it'll fit within the frame fine. They are MUCH cheaper than the LS1 F-body pans and 1/4" shallower too. With my car being so low, I really don't want anything hanging any lower than it has to.

#37 ·
Thanks for the pics. I can't see the "wings" on that pan; you sure it's a C5 Corvette LS1 pan? It would look like this:

Attachments

#38 ·
Oops, posted too soon. I think I see the "batwings" in that bottom pic.

#41 ·
Thanks! Your pics helped a lot! Good lookin' car! My exhaust will take up more room than yours but I think it'll work. :thumbup:

#42 ·
Yes. Looks great. My compliments Tubbed! How are you liking the carb set up?

My 36 is sitting on the sidelines so I can get my son's 65 Elky going. I just started ordering parts again yesterday for the 36. I still need the LS2 water pump. :( But I do have the modified fuel injection wiring harness back. Going to get started mocking up the headers soon. Then hopefully I can at least get it started......then pull for a good cleaning and paint the frame.

How's your progress going Sinister?

Dave

#43 ·
FWIW the May, 2009 Car Craft has an article on the "Complete Chevy LS accessory drive and pulley swap guide".

It's 6 pages and includes OEM part numbers- it isn't just an advert for March pulleys, it goes into how to do things using OEM/junk yard-sourced parts.

IMO, just the info on alternator interchange and power steering pump pulleys would be worth the price.

#45 ·
I`m of no help either but I do have to say thats a awesome truck Iceman. It looks like a old ice delivery truck or is that where your name came from? If not it sure does fit. It would be cool after painting and restoration to have a false ice company`s name and logo painted on the side. Something like "Artic Andy`s Ice Delivery" or "Eskimo Ed`s" Just random thoughts.

#47 · (Edited)
Stovebolter said:
How's your progress going Sinister?

Dave
Progress? What's that? Seriously, my car has been sidelined forever. I am now back to working on it. As stated earlier, I sold off all of my Turbo Buick stuff and ended up with two LSx motors (one true aluminum 5.7 LS1 from a Camaro and one iron block 5.3 from a Silverado. My plan is to run all the truck externals including the drive-by-wire throttle body and truck intake on the aluminum motor creating essentially an aluminum 5.7 truck motor. I've also bought a Z06 cam for it. I've also collected up a very low mileage truck harness to use and the DBW throttle pedal.

Because my work space is so limited at home, last weekend we took the body off the chassis and stored it in a friends LARGE X HUGE shop (I'm so jealous). We then took the rolling chassis back to my house so I could work on it. I'll update as I progress....

#49 ·
Tubbed71 said:
What are you going to do with the 5.3?
We've almost got enough stuff to build it collected up. Now looking for a suitable candidate for Road Racing project!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.