flip flop deck lid - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2004, 08:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

flip flop deck lid

i know this is a hot rod site, but i need a little help. can any one tell me in detail how to do a flip flop deck lid on a car(97 sunfire)
or if it is even possible to do it on a sunfire...

mathjew

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2004, 08:37 AM

Re: flip flop deck lid

Quote:
Originally posted by mathjew
a flip flop deck lid
Ive never done one but this guy may know how to here sorry I cldnt resist
Old 09-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Mathjew or is it Mathew, I have to tell you, that is a BIG, BIG job with little payback. I have no idea on how it would be done on your Sunfire. I would have to study it for quite some time before I touched it with a wrench.

If you, youself, can't walk up to that car and figure it out, please don't let someone talk you into this. There are lots of people who talk about modifications such as this like it is easy. IT IS NOT EASY!

This along with suicide doors are HUGE project requiring a good understanding of geomotry and mechanical engineering. You don't need formal training in these fields, but you better have a good working knowledge of them! These modifications are NOT JUST cutting and welding some stuff together, they are VERY COMPLEX projects. If you get someone telling they are not, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!!

I have see a lot of cars butchered up with these modifications. Ones that the doors, hood or trunk don't work worth a crap. They hit the adjacent panel as they open, they fall to one side as they open, they just work like CRAP.

I have done them, a few times, THEY ARE NOT EASY. They take many, many hours to design, BEFORE you touch it with a wrench.

There are many halfars web sites and stores selling "universal" kits to do these jobs, THEY ARE NOT TO BE BELIEVED they are a joke, and there is NO SUCH THING as a "univesal" kit. I guess the word is pretty relevent, "Universal", by their standards would be a pile of wood is a "universal" kit for a house! Sure, you wouldn't be lieing right? You could build a house out of the pile of wood, but it would take a talented person to pull it off. These "kits" are like a pile of metal, sure but if you were good enough to pull it off you wouldn't need to pay for the "kit" you would just go get the metal and do it.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "universal" hinge or kit for these modifications. Each and every car would need a COMPLETELY different design, each and every car would be COMPLETELY different, there is NO ONE "KIT" THAT COULD PROVIDE WHAT YOU NEED.

Listen, just spend the time you would on this modification on DETAIL, that is what makes the difference on a show winning car. Do something that you don't have to be parked with the trunk open for people to see. Besides, there is NOTHING uglier than a car parked with the trunk open! I don't care which way it is opening, I don't care how "cool" it may be that it opens "wrong", it is UGLY.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Mat-What martinsr is saying is VERY true. I have been a metal fabricator and welder all of my adult life and I have tackled many challenging projects. Some years ago I helped a buddy of mine mount the hood and doors on a 57 T-bird replica kit car. Getting those things to work right was a nightmare to say the least even with instructions and templates. If you are the least bit confused about how it needs to be done then my advice would be to think again about doing it. If you feel that it is worth all the trouble then you would do well to find someone that has done this before and is willing to help hands-on as it will take detailed instructions with EXACT measurements to get it right. If you tackle this project and try to figure out each step as you proceed then be prepared for disaster.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Hello ,
I once saw a tutorial on how to do a flip flop trunk for a cavalier/sunfire. I don't remember the exact address but you can do a search on : http://www.j-body.org. It is a site for cavalier and sunfire. I used to go there a lot before I heard about hotrodders . It might not give any answer because there have been a invasion of ricers on that site... anyway good luck.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Having money helps

suicide trunk

Dont ask me how or where I got it but I have a file which shows and documents building a suicide trunk... its a word file with the photos in it. Good luck, let me know if you try it and if it actually works.

----Guess I cant post the file but if you post your email or send it somehow Ill happily send it along.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.