Flip Flop Paint - back in the day - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Flip Flop Paint - back in the day

I'm looking for some information on a paint used in the early 70's. On the can, it was called "Flip Flop" and the color was blue (cant recall who the MFG. was). This was a early version of today's chameleon, but not nearly as radical.

I have a car that was painted using this paint, and I want research the materials.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Flip Flop Pearls used to be refered to as a "murano pearl", which acts differently than a normal pearl.

That brand of paint was made by Metal Flake Company that was the leading source of custom paint, before HOK took over as the leading manufacturer.

I learned how to paint using thier products! They also marketed the leading magazines on how-to-custom-paint. They were peeking during the '70s chopper and van crazes, and were the first place a painter went.

They were a family owned business, and were still operating a couple years ago, as a source for dry flake... and pearl powders... and more. The name has changed to "Metal Flake Corporation".

Try these links which show product description...and a product list with phone numbers as of 3-4 years ago.

http://www.effectlakken.nl/nl/index....gid=2&Itemid=2

http://metalflakecorp.com/originals/pricelist2007.pdf

Last edited by TucsonJay; 01-30-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

I found their web site.

It looks like they still offer the Flip Flop powders that would be added to your clear base.

http://www.metalflakecorp.com/mod.ph...=35&page_id=35
Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 PM

TucsonJay -
Sounds like you nailed it. Thank you!!

They don't show the Blue Flip Flop Pearl in the most recent price list. I'll be giving them a call. It could be that the blue velvet is it.

If I understand the dry (powder) option, I can add this to any clear, or mid coat of my choice. It actually sounds like a great option to completely experiment with the look and application.

Thanks again

--Paul
Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

I think you may be right about the "Blue Velvet". I don't remember ever seeing that name... "back in the day". :-)
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Flip flop pearl was nothing more than lead based pearl. The flip flop happens when you shot blue over red or such. Until the light hits it, its red, where the light hits it it "flips' to blue.
Shot a bunch of Murano pearl in the 70's, was a soft looking pearl, very fine. Use too much Murano and the white clouded the base color, todays powders aren't quite so touchy that ay.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Flip flop pearl was nothing more than lead based pearl. The flip flop happens when you shot blue over red or such. Until the light hits it, its red, where the light hits it it "flips' to blue.
Shot a bunch of Murano pearl in the 70's, was a soft looking pearl, very fine. Use too much Murano and the white clouded the base color, todays powders aren't quite so touchy that ay.
I remember years ago doing a van conversion that had Murano pearl on it. It had already been taken off the market. I went to a nearby customer painter who was a bit "baked" if you get the idea. He sold me the gold Murano I needed for 5 bucks, I'm thinking he was after a nickel bag.

I still have that pearl up on my "garage god" shelf in my garage as an "offering" to the Big Daddy.

Brian
Old 02-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Thanks for the info. What else have you seen between today's and older lead based pearls? I guess what I'm asking, in the change of supplies, elimination of lead, lower voc, etc are today materials 100% better? What was "lost" in the transition? What cant be done anymore?

The Blue Flip Flop Perl (by Metalflake corp) was shot on a black base, lightly blended and applied mostly to the body lines. The results were subtle and very beautiful. It really is the exact finish I want to reproduce. Black car, at a quick glance you wouldn't think different. In direct sun, up close you will then notice that the color comes alive. Not heavy on the flake, but a lot of depth bring hues of blue and purple as you walk around.

It sounds like Murano pearl is it, soft and colorful. i've seen it on ebay recently. pricey but worth it if that is my only option....

Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Here you go. They are still in business, and still offer the Flip Flop line of pearls.

http://www.metalflakecorp.com/mod.ph...=35&page_id=35
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I remember years ago doing a van conversion that had Murano pearl on it. It had already been taken off the market. I went to a nearby customer painter who was a bit "baked" if you get the idea. He sold me the gold Murano I needed for 5 bucks, I'm thinking he was after a nickel bag.

I still have that pearl up on my "garage god" shelf in my garage as an "offering" to the Big Daddy.

Brian
I'm still seeing HOK Murano pearl.

Ebay link

anybody use this before? Any good?

Hey if you have any of the "real-deal" Murano in blue, I'd be very interested....Hold the gold for "Big Daddy"

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.