Flo-Tek Heads from speedway - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Perhaps you should look up the Vortec Chronicles in Chevy High Performance magazine where they did a step by step build up using vortecs. Started wth stock cam, changed it out, recorded results. Did that with manifolds, carbs, rockers, etc. Do a search and find out how easy it is. Oh, by the way, have been running a XE cam for the last five years with no problems. C'mon now! Let's not make this harder than it is.

Link to a 440 hp engine with a XE 274 cam
http://www.compcams.com/community/ar...?ID=1751487810

Heres the link to the 400 hp 420 lb ft goodwrench
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...iii/index.html

i'm not saying that it's not possible, and i have read the same articles that you have but i also dont tend to belive everything i read. and i have found that when these magazine do the motors like this they are dyno mules and will never see the road so they can set them with any tune they want as long as it makes the motor look better. most of the tunes these dyno mules use will not be quite so favorable on the street in a real car. and when you actually see tons of people come in saying "yea is should be a 450hp motor" and then they end up running it, it falls far short at around 380-410hp and they say "I dont know what is wrong". it is not as easy as some people to make 450-500hp as some people thing. put it like this i run a 385cid (.040 350 w/ 3.75 crank) with 10.3:1 a Howards solid f/t cam 282/290, 240/250, 106cl, 110lsa, .525"/.525" with howard billet alm 1.6 rockers on the inake and 1.5 rockers on the exhaust, correcting the intake lift to .555". DART iron eagle 200cc platinum heads with about 800.00 in machine work and testing done to them, with a single plane victor intake and a 750DP on it, and i'm making just over 500hp (just over) i use an 850DP when racing it at the track. now this year i am going to do a test on one of the test and tune nights at the track where i'm going to take a performer RPM intake with a notched plenum divider and a 1" spacer with the 750DP and see what it makes me run. but anyway most people on here will tell you that a stock set of vortecs makes for a very good street motor, but it is not as easy as people think to make 450hp with them considering they only but out 227cfm @ .500 lift, 454hp would be at 100% volumectric efficancy, and that is far harder than people think to achive. take 452 x 90%= 406.8hp and this is still better VE than most people achive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

aluminum heads.

Skip White in Tennessee has some procomp 190cc intake for less. I've heard reports both ways on those, but Skip says they are much better now and he stands behind them. I've been wanting to get a set and hoping someone knows something about the procomp that I don't. Skip sells fully CCd 220s for $850.. Bare. Ebay item number #370353056620 and item # 350356896522

If nothing else I like the fact that you can take a full compression point free for using aluminum to get your 400 hp and still run pump gas. I'd suggest a 9.004" deck height though.
Someone tell me about the procomp before I fall prey.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM
More for Less Racer

I have used two sets of the ProComp castings so far, one bought from local supplier and one bought from White. Both sets bought bare, I wanted to have control over the grade of parts used to complete them and would suggest that anyone using them do the same. White claims to use good parts and I have not had a problem with anything I have gotten from him, so I can't tell you for sure what he uses. Stay far away from assembled heads with ProComp spec parts, real poor looking stuff.

Both sets I have were the 210cc intake runner and they WILL need a port job to be decent flow wise, they aren't that great out of the box, but it is easy to see where the metal has to come out, it is real obvious where there is too much material cast into the port. 6 hours of porting cleaned them right up.

Word at other forums says the 190cc versions are a lot worse flowing than the 210's even when you take into account the difference in size. You will need to do a lot more hand work to the 190's to get anywhere. Also mentioned and data given shows that the CNC version from ProComp isn't that great, program seems to be set up to make them look good and machine clean every surface, not CNC machined for best flow.

Check out www.1320techtalk.com, there is some info there along with a good flowing CNC version being sold by Dr J's - the airflow guy.

Last edited by ericnova72; 06-06-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 PM

"It's all in the Heads"

Hey Eric,...87z,
The people I hear most often say "It's all in the heads", are usually running asphalt or dirt track, and they already have everything in the short block that's legally possible according to their respective rules.
So with you two guys this the best thread I've read so far on Hotrodder.
Partly because you are both aware that it takes more than a couple of out of the box "bolt on's" to make 400 hp. a myth subscribed to by some in the younger set who are yet to experience what 400+ hp actually is.
Mostly because you've both actually done it and know what it takes.. Eric, You laid it out about like I had it figured on the procomps, and Z you're right on the money re your comments on the vortec heads. I've been working with them lately also.
Either one of you seen the most recent You Tube video of Skip running his ZCar with the heads CCd in his own shop? I'm going to try to find that link and post it here. Also going to check out Eric's link on the other source for CCd procomp. Thanks Guys Duntov
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drqqk3Z0bmE

This isn't the newest crate they have but it's suppose to have the CNCd 210s on it..
Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 PM

Last photo:

I bought a set of the big block oval ports ,before knowing what i was buying I had them torn apart and checked for installed height valve to guide clearance ,seats and if they were 1 peice valves,everything checked out but spring pressure had to shim .090 to get to were they said.I bought these complete from kmj. After being on this forum and reading and even talking to procomp I am going to spend the money on quality valves, springs , retainers, and locks. I wish i would have done more research and bought these from somebody else. i'm not taking a chance with a blown engine sitting in my face.also procomp is what i bought don't no anything about flotek prob. the same

Last edited by 1932bantam; 06-06-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: needed to add
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

I know this post is old but just wanted to advise the guy thats googleing or searching for reviews on the speedway flo-tek heads. Carcraft magazine did a story on best heads for under 1k and these were nothing short of strong out of the box. 381hp 409tq on a chevy 350 with a .500 lift summit cam with 1.6 rocker. Thats just about the same you would get out of vortecs without the added cost of a new intake and center bolt valve covers. Not to mention the machining for springs. Just sayin, it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg to make power. Don't judge parts or potential just by looking at how much they cost. Just image these with some porting and more compression....
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsch25 View Post
Has anyone here ever used these heads? They seem really cheap for out of the box Aluminum heads.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flo-Te...ads,25120.html
Yes they are good heads and are reasonably priced, made in China at a made in China price. A lot of heads from name brands are also at the least cast in China with finish machining done in the U.S. and are sold at made in U.S. prices. Some others are entirely made in China and also sell at made in the U.S prices.

I like to deal with made in America items when possible but I don't like paying made in America prices for made in China parts or tools. Not buying made in China parts or tools at decent prices isn't going to bring anything back here. The corporations, the government, and the green lobby industry all come to gether for varying reasons to essentially force manufacturing out of our country. Here in Seattle the goverment and greens have come together to defeat the tide water transfer of coal moving to China by ship from BNSF trains for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with the balance of trade. So apparently our nation's financial bleeding to death has nothing to do with these people. Apparently they can survive without your job.

Anyway off the soap box, Speedway has been in business for 60 some years, they are a going operation that stands behind their product. These are a decent head at a decent price.

Bogie
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Here's the shootout....
Eight Budget Small Block Chevy Heads Tested - Car Craft Magazine

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.