Flooded Cars and Trucks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Old Salt

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flooded Cars and Trucks

Folks,

Someone will try and it and folks will be taken.

Just wanted to get people alert when buying a used car - if it seems to good to be true, it probally is.

Dutch

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2005, 09:35 AM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

I would think that those cars would be deemed not repairable and wont get a salvage title right? I mean, if that water has ecoli in it, or the potential for it if you get it near an open oriface of your body, or drink it, wouldnt having a flood damaged car with that water make it very unsanitary to say the least?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Well it would depend. If they turn it into the ins co. then I'd bet they would be listed as a salvage title. Now if they don't turn it into ins. co. then the title will proably still be clear. I also know at least 1 big auto manufacturer had a bunch of cars get flooded and they cleaned them up and sold them as new without warning the buyers.
Also now a salvage title doesn't mean as much as it used to. Seen some where all it was is a busted headlight, creased fender, and dented hood.
But good call everyone should be on the lookout now.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

this is interesting to think about. I would think, however, that a lot of us could maybe get some cool deals on cars that are "destroyed" by the flood and get some cheap, rebuildable motors or good parts that aren't otherwise affected too much by the water. If I was a salvage yard owner I would probably take out the plugs, turn the motor over, and spray the whole car, inside and out with a 2 or 3% bleach solution and sell them for a couple hundred a piece. Somebody will be making out on this if they know what they're doing.

K
Old 09-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

me thinks it will be china doing the making out on this one.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
this is interesting to think about. I would think, however, that a lot of us could maybe get some cool deals on cars that are "destroyed" by the flood and get some cheap, rebuildable motors or good parts that aren't otherwise affected too much by the water. If I was a salvage yard owner I would probably take out the plugs, turn the motor over, and spray the whole car, inside and out with a 2 or 3% bleach solution and sell them for a couple hundred a piece. Somebody will be making out on this if they know what they're doing.

K

I would love to get me an LS1 car for a few bucks. I have three kids,I am used t o the smell of crap in my cars!! Just throw a couple sheets of Snuggle fabric softener under the seats and it will take care of itself.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:

K

I would think twice about it, unless you just looking for sheetmetal (that you would have to refinish inside and out) there isn't much salvageable off a flood car. The engine will be full of mud, the interior will be a bacterial hazard, all bearings will be contaminated with water and mud, corrosion will have already taken hold on machined areas.

The more you look at it unless your looking for a smash up derby car or a stripped chassis to build a race car they are worth more as scrap.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
I would think twice about it, unless you just looking for sheetmetal (that you would have to refinish inside and out) there isn't much salvageable off a flood car. The engine will be full of mud, the interior will be a bacterial hazard, all bearings will be contaminated with water and mud, corrosion will have already taken hold on machined areas.

The more you look at it unless your looking for a smash up derby car or a stripped chassis to build a race car they are worth more as scrap.

You just could not be more right.

If its an insurance job most of them automatically total if water goes about 6 inches above the floor.
It will be a salvage title.

Two years ago I bought a fairly new SC400 Lexis that a friend drove into 3 feet of water.
Got the car for $12,000 and it was worth 35-40,000, lost my a## to make it right and that was the first and last time I would ever do water car.

These are not something you want to fool with unless you need parts as stated above.

Last edited by BarryK; 09-10-2005 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added words to make it correct-duh
Old 09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

if you never seen up close a SALT WATER damaged car trust me its not pretty think of a rust bucket POS you've seen driving down the road well it smells as bad as a death wreck and will reek havoc on electrical stuff even if its not been "under the water" salt will wick into ANY connection

-sheet metal(fenders, hoods, trunk lids) doors if they are washed out real good and the salt neutralized
-glass
-drive train if its cleaned out with in a certain amount of time
-tires

the rest is junk to the press to the chipper = 2007 Camry's

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 09-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Beyond the Sea

Last photo:

As far as the newer cars are concerned, its no big deal. But I wonder how many classics and hod rods where left behind and are now lost/destroyed? If I lived there I would have packed the family into my Bel Air and left the new car behind.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If I was a salvage yard owner I would probably take out the plugs, turn the motor over, and spray the whole car, inside and out with a 2 or 3% bleach solution and sell them for a couple hundred a piece. Somebody will be making out on this if they know what they're doing.

K

It sure won't be the salvage yard!

Depending on his contract with the insurance company he will pay 20-30% of value for the salvage car and sell it for $200?

Using old math, thats a loss? New math, I never had.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

Can't be any worse than suicide cars. When I was living in Ca., there was a towing yard that I used to buy cars from that towed in a car that had a rentacop blow his brains out in. The whole interior was sprayed with grey matter. The employees of the yard(it was also a body shop) refused to work until they had a forensic cleanup company "sterilze it". Putrid!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

An ozone generator inside the car will remove any smell...including the death smell. It ruins all the rubber in the car including the wiring but the smell will be gone.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.