View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODROW_1998 View Post
So, the top picture is what happens when you cut the matting instead of tearing it. what is a good amount of layers of fiberglass to use? Are the steps , 1. lay down the resin, 2. apply 2 layers of matting on top of the resin, 3. apply more resin on top of the matting. does this sound right?
Resin isn't strong by it's self.... I wet out the spot I want to work,, Then lay the chopped mat over that spot, I then use my roller to make sure that first layer is wet out without any air bubble's,, Then start the next one right over the last,, The key to making a part strong is, To use as little resin as you can to wet it all out,, A lot of resin on top of the mat doesn't make a strong part,, It only makes the resin brittle..

If I'm building a scoop or something like it... I will go with three layers,, three layers when dry will not give much... If I'm making panels to make some turns in it.. And I want the part where I can bend it into shape,, I will lay out one layer,, Once I bend it into the shape I wanted it.. Then I would lay up two more layers.. Then it will be strong and in the shape I wanted it...

When I glassed in the floor of this bucket... I grind everything with 36 grit, Wipe it with acetone,, Then I start laying the glass.. If your doing a hole repair,, Start with one size of chopped mat, Then when you put the next one over that last one, Make it a little bigger then the last and so on.. That way you don't have a build up in one spot..

If you stop for the day and come back tomorrow to finish what you started (you can do that with fiber glass) Pass some 36 grit over the spot, Wipe it with acetone, It will get sticky again, Lay up more glass,,
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-16-2013)