Floor fabrication - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 11:22 AM
02,87,67,66,34 all Chevys

Last journal entry: Side project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Floor fabrication

I am about to tackle the task of creating a floor board/pan for my 34 Chevy. This car has no floor what so ever and all of the wood is gone. The only thing that is holding the body from bending is the fact that the doors are wired inplace and it is sitting on some 2x4s layed accross the frame. I need all the advice I can get before embarking on this task. I have some ideas on how to go about it and have done some research, but would like to hear from some one that has done it before (pictures would be nice). I have a some what complete shop with migs, torch, brake, bead roller, spot welder, cleacos and soon to have a shrinker/stretcher. I've been saving up large sheets of card board and foam board for templating. Now all I need is some lessons learned from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 12:18 PM
goth_rod87

The best way i can think of to start this is take carful measurments,check them twice and mark em out on the cardboard..double check the measurments and trace em and build em...simple as that...just need to make sure everything is level and is supported by strong welds....good luck,
GOTH
Old 09-11-2005, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

It would be best to have the frame you are going to use handy. Then you can jocky the body around a bit to get the best door fit. These bodies were far from perfect when first built and the framing was quite a bit of wood.

I use various pieces of .090 wall small square and rectangular tubing for perimiter framing and some 3"x1" channel for cross the frame floor support.

Are you going to drop the car over the frame or run as a "Highboy' ?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

floor boards

These are some pictures of a floor board I made. Simple hand tools can do alot and it looks like you have them.

Installed
Old 09-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

With the equipment that you have, you should have no problem building floor pans. Experience is a big help.........it may take a few tries at it, but it should work out.

Fabrication is a bit of an art.

Budget RVs
Old 09-11-2005, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

I would like to drop it over the frame. I want it to have the body sit pretty much like it did from the factory. I will lower the car slightly via the suspension, but don't want it to be slammed. I'm just wondering what is the best way to drop it down over the frame and connect to the bottom edge of the body. I'm thinking making the inter-structure that use to be the wood, come down to the bottom edge then bring the floor to it. Any thoughts?

this is what I was thinkin'
Old 09-12-2005, 07:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

That will work but in my opinion you need a strong structure under the floor. Here's a pic of the floor and firewall on my '53 pickup. I used 1"x2" square tubing as a basic framework and welded 14 ga. sheet to it. If you have the ability to roll stiffeners in the metal you an use thinner gage metal.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:29 AM

Last photo:

floors

Hi Matt,

Your drawing should work well.

Centerline has given you a good picture and advice of a clean looking floorboard that is well built. He has used 14 guage. The one I made was 16 gauge. But as Centerline suggested you could use thinner metal if you have a way of rolling some stiffeners in it.

Keith
Old 09-13-2005, 06:45 AM

Last journal entry: The floor going in
Last photo:

Hi matt
I cut the card i used into strips and then glued it with a hot glue gun so i could get an idear of my floor area then put it on to card to see how it looked in the car
good luck stuart
you can see what i mean in my project journal
Old 09-13-2005, 07:22 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Since you are lacking a floor right now, your body is no doubt skewed. You should invest in a body manual that will give you the dimensions you will need. Obviously, you could hang the doors to get good gaps and then weld braces inside, so the rocker length will be good,but the width of the floor will affect your fenders. THIS WON"T BE EASY. It will take patience. Lots of it. See my journal for some of the fun I had. I used pipe with a piece of threaded rod & nuts to push the body around. You could strap the outside of the car, to squeeze it in, if you had to. Or use a turnbuckle with threaded rod welded inside the cab. With wood structure, its even harder. You REALLY should replace that with new wood, or steel square tubing to strengthen it up. After you get the body squared up, with the right dimensions, THEN you can start your floor. B itchen products has floors for that. Pretty reasonable too. If you try to bead roll the ribs in, you will need to pre-stretch or relieve the metal, or the bead roller will waffle the floor pan on you. Another method is to take an Oak 2x4 and carve out your desired rib shape about 2' long . Mark your lines on the metal and using a door skin hammer, pound the metal into the rib recess. Then you could clean it up with a bead roller. Some guys just pound it and don't bother finishing it. Carpet and undercoating are their camoflaging.
But your first step is to get a book with good dimensions!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

Jeff;
I have about every book I could find on this thing and there are few if any dimensions for the body. I have the proper measurements to insure the frame is right but nothing on the body but pictures. I was thinking that I would hang the running boards and align the body to them, the frame , and the doors, then brace the piss out of it.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:13 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Another option is to google search other owners and ask for some basic dimensions. The dimensions from inside the door posts, at the hinge side and one for the latch side would probabl help the most.

Make your life EASY though. Spend a few minutes, and make your bracing adjustable!! That way, you can tweek it so its square and inline.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:18 PM

Keith, Those look great.

Would you be willing to describe the process you went through?

I have a 63 Ford Falcon Convertible that needs floorboards, yours serve as an inspiration! Wish I could find a reproduction for the 'vert, but I'm willing to dive in and fabricate them..

Any resources you can recommend would be hugely helpful, along with the process.

Thanks in advance..

And Matt, How are you going about your floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1
These are some pictures of a floor board I made. Simple hand tools can do alot and it looks like you have them.

Installed
Old 10-25-2005, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkimble
Keith, Those look great.

Would you be willing to describe the process you went through?

I have a 63 Ford Falcon Convertible that needs floorboards, yours serve as an inspiration! Wish I could find a reproduction for the 'vert, but I'm willing to dive in and fabricate them..

Any resources you can recommend would be hugely helpful, along with the process.

Thanks in advance..

And Matt, How are you going about your floor?
Hi Jeff,

A bead roller with a step die and a die with the size bead you need. The throat of the bead roller will dictate how big of a panel you can do. Just weld the pieces together after beading for the size floor you need.A sheet metal brake is a plus but a couple pieces of angle iron in a vise will work your bends.

keith

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.