Floor jack rebuild. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 08:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Floor jack rebuild.

Have any of you guys ever rebuilt your shop floor jack? I've got 2, and my bigger one (7,000 lb capacity) decided to not keep lifting pressure up. I can pump it, and it releases back down to the starting point height all over again. It is full of jack oil, and the handle is tightened down.

It's a Michilin jack, and a buddy has one that he paid $55 to have rebuilt. I can buy another one for around $70. Is it worth fixing? He said the seal kit was around $45 to DIY rebuild. I gotta re-check the prices. Would any of you guys attempt it, or not?

In a while, Chet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

Wiki Edits: 0

$45 for a seal kit?! If you've ever taken apart a hydraulic pump, you'll notice that there's MAYBE 2 o-rings around the plunger (~$2). Unless the metal had been severely rubbing against each other causing a groove (doubtful), the only thing you would really need to change is the little o-rings. With that aside, the biggest pain you're going to come across is trying to take it apart to begin the rebuild! I've done it myself on a 3 ton floor jack I had that pretty much did what you're describing. At the time, Harbor Freight even had a sale on 2-1/4 ton floor jacks for $40 & 3 ton floor jacks for $69. Kind of hard to beat $2!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

i have the same michelin jack..bought it at sams club a few years back for around 50.00..same thing has been happening to this one..it'll pump up but slowly leak down..havent had the chance to take it apart but im gonna fix mine for now
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Pull the o-rings and take them to your local hardware store... Like sel2real said, a buck or two is all it'll cost you. Buy a couple just because.
One thing to keep in mind on these cheaper off-shore jacks is letting them down too quick will blow the seal. Don't just dump the pressure when letting them down. Let them come down slowly and they'll last a long time.
Mark
Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sel2real
$45 for a seal kit?! If you've ever taken apart a hydraulic pump, you'll notice that there's MAYBE 2 o-rings around the plunger (~$2). Unless the metal had been severely rubbing against each other causing a groove (doubtful), the only thing you would really need to change is the little o-rings. With that aside, the biggest pain you're going to come across is trying to take it apart to begin the rebuild! I've done it myself on a 3 ton floor jack I had that pretty much did what you're describing. At the time, Harbor Freight even had a sale on 2-1/4 ton floor jacks for $40 & 3 ton floor jacks for $69. Kind of hard to beat $2!

I've never messed with a pump. So where do I start? I presume I'll need to drain the fluid out by turning it upside down. Is that the right first step? I should also ask at this point, do I remove the springs on the sides of the body of the jack?

Thanks for the help, too. I really appreciate the input.

In a while, Chet.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

I rebuilt floor jacks for a living for 3 years. $45 for a rebuild kit is about right, if it comes with a new pump, new chevron cup, new pump cup and o rings, new O-ring or D ring for the top, and new check balls. A lot of the sprecialty parts are hard to come by in regular hardware stores.

They're really not hard to rebuild. It will take you a few hours tops. Just go online and get a breakdown and you should be set. As long as you've got a decent vice, a big pipe wrench, and a set of picks and your average hand tools you'll be fine.

And from what it sounds, either your release ball is stuck, or the main cup isnt sealing anymore and its leaking fluid back into the resevoir.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:14 PM

info

I cant find the breakdown on line for this jack. I am trying to go find somewhere to buy the rebuild kit.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 AM

michelin floor jack

I have the same jack from Sams Club that i bought a few years back and i have the same problem. I just started to fi it now and realized that the universal joint that connects the handle to the actual jack cyclinder came apart. The u-joint is located under the magnetic tray where the base of the handle pivots.

Now i am trying to figure out where to get a replacement part, or pins that i can modify myself. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO GET THESE????

Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

I also have a Michelin jack that started leaking down before it was a year old. They are China made and are made very cheaply and IMO, ain't worth bothering with. Lincoln jacks are still availabe used and if you want to spend some money and time on an old one, they are well worth it and will last for many years beyond these China made pieces of junk.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

FWIW, just an idea, my dad had a bottle jack once that developed leak down trouble. He rebuilt it and still had the same problem. So he figured what can he hurt by trying this - he filled it up with automotive power steering pump sealer. He never had any more trouble out of it. I haven't had the need to try this yet myself.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

seal conditioner maybe?

man... every time ive ever tried to get a leaking failing jack working again its always been in vain.. total failure..
i have another good older heavy floor jack now that is doing it too and would be nice to make work again but it just never works out..

what a pain..

stupid pumps..

or cylinders

or whatever keeps them up., and is supposed to keep them from leaking back down...

hmm

we have a big heavy stand up tranny jack doing the same thing now,

it leaks down the first stage sometimes
it is pneumatic first stage.

and the second stage always leaks down if you dont keep the jacking handle all the way up.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I've got a 35 year old Walker I need to do something with.........
Old 12-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

The China made jacks are usually not machined very well and that's the rub.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I've got a 35 year old Walker I need to do something with.........
Ha! You and me both.

Well, for me, not a Walker. but a Hein Werner. Circa 1976. Ton and a Half. I really like this jack because it's low from front to back. But it leaks like a sieve. Doesn't leak downward though. Annoying more than anything. I have to put a 'diaper' under it while not in use or it'll pee a puddle on my floor.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Last journal entry: Rear Axle swap #2 (74 Camaro) part 6
Last photo:

I have the same jack but a different problem. It slowly got to where it would lift less and less each pump until now it hardly moves at all. Is this an easy fix or should I drop it at the metal recycler?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.