Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   floor jack and stands? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/floor-jack-stands-63865.html)

Mr.NutCase 06-06-2005 04:50 PM

floor jack and stands?

i am looking to buy a jack in a few months, what should i look for?
is a 3 ton jack good?

Nightfire 06-06-2005 05:19 PM

Do you have a low sitting vehicle? If so, make sure you get one that slides under your car without a problem. The aluminum racing jacks are nice but unless you really like them a regular 3 ton jack should do. Just make sure you dont get walmart ones like me.

Mike

Mr.NutCase 06-06-2005 06:50 PM

which jack are better the ones that have gears, or the one with u-joints?
my car are not low,

oldred 06-06-2005 07:51 PM

Mr.Nut--Walker is a really good brand for one, although not cheap, they are very well built and will last for a long time. There are other good ones out there also and this is another place where a person's money is better spent on a quality tool rather than the bargain brands. For a home garage a 3 ton would work just fine.

circletrack62 06-06-2005 11:28 PM

dont get a racing jack!!! trust me they are great for racing because they only need a few pumps but i race and have used them they are very hard to pump. a regular jack will do fine. and always use jack stands.

BigDawgsEatFirst 06-07-2005 12:15 AM

yeah, i have mostly craftsman jacks.
they are cool
Jack stands are like 5 ton
Really beefy
That is some thing you want that is great quality
When you are under something you want to make sure it is safe on jack stands
have you jack under also as a extra backup.
Buy at least two stands (four if u can)
Two (floor jacks) is cool
One Bottle Jack (A-arm work) :smash:
Quick pump jacks are cool
Hell ,
a man can never have enough jacks around. :D LOL
Just ,never trust just a jack
Always put a jack stand under also..............like circletrack said
gears or u- joints jacks ,
just get good quality stands to support the weight after item is lifted.

302 Z28 06-07-2005 04:44 AM

I have one of the Harbor Freight aluminum racing jacks. It works great for my 2400lb street rod, but hard to pump when used on my full size Chevy pickup.

Vince

poncho62 06-07-2005 06:21 AM

I have had a Walker for 30 years, still works great.

Just recently bought a larger jack, that will lift to 30+ inches..........funny thing, jacks are cheaper (price wise) than they were 30 years ago.........that probably says something about the quality.

Canadian Charlie 06-07-2005 07:15 AM

If you think you will only be jacking up 2 tons get a 5 ton model, you never know what you will be doing in the future

oldred 06-07-2005 08:54 AM

Canadian Charlie hit the nail on the head--If you think a 2 ton will work you will soon find that a 3 ton is so much better that you should have bought a 5 ton :D

66Caprice 06-07-2005 11:08 AM

What everyone else said and...

If you want to use a Transmission Adaptor, make sure the floor jack lifting pad can be removed and has a 1 1/4" shaft. Most of the heavy duty adaptors are 1 1/4" but the 2 ton and smaller jacks usually have a smaller diameter shaft.

BigDawgsEatFirst 06-07-2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Caprice
What everyone else said and...

If you want to use a Transmission Adaptor, make sure the floor jack lifting pad can be removed and has a 1 1/4" shaft. Most of the heavy duty adaptors are 1 1/4" but the 2 ton and smaller jacks usually have a smaller diameter shaft.

Amen to that.......good point

el clarko 06-08-2005 12:48 AM

i bought the 4,000 lb craftsman aluminum jack and am very pleased with it. two pumps brings it up to the chassis and then it pumps like a standard jack. bought it on sale for $179 and find that it was money well spent, considering i had been using a cheap offshore 2 ton piece for too long.

as for stands, the Goodyear Racing ones available at Sam's club are sweet. Very reasonably priced, durable, and have a nice chrome plating to them.

Mr.NutCase 12-02-2005 03:33 PM

i bought a Craftsman 3 ton floor jack for 50 dollars, last week

TwistedTrbl 12-02-2005 04:10 PM

Yeah I've had a Craftsman 3 ton for about 9yrs now. No problems with it and have done more the "average" DIYer with it. My dad bought one at the same time and his went out on him about 4yrs ago. Don't know how, he barely used it. Anyway thats what I was going ro suggest to you until I saw that you already bought one.