Floor Pan Bead Roll Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Floor Pan Bead Roll Question

I am going to have to replace the floor in my 54 chevy 3100. I am planning on using 18 gauge sheet metal. My question is: When you guys are replacing floor pans do you bead roll them? How much extra stability does it promote? Is it worth it? Would a wooden buck and a little hammering do the job?
Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

floor

I usually just buy the repair panels because by the time you buy sheet, fit it and bead roll or hammer it out on a buck you are farther ahead. more time to do something else, unless that is your something else. I just welded in a panel for a buddies '54 gmc, drivers side. everything fit great. it was cheap too. i seamed it just in front of the seat base that is welded to the floor. I know some guys who have done floors without beads, but they use 16 guage for extra strength.
hope it helped,
dsraven
Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

thanks for your input, maybe I'll use a thicker gauge. I am pretty low budget, so I'm trying to avoid buying a replacement panels if I can; I think they are around $300. Plus, The stock floor pans have holes for the battery box, trans tunnel, and some other stuff that I would need to fill, so I thought it may be better to just build my own instead of having to patch the stock panel. I'll have to see what kind of deal I can the sheet metal for.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

18 Gauge is suficient, and yes, you can take round stock and a mallett and make your beads. Better yet, how about buying the Harbor Freight Roller and doing them that way? With just a little support it will do them quite well.

Yes, it does offer strength, and also helps to quell oil canning-
Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

yeah I was looking into the HF bead roller. I have herd that they need to be braced up a little to make them work good.

I might just make a buck, because I don't know how much I would end up using the bead roller other than for the floor pans. I think I would rather spend the coin on a english wheel, I could use that for quite a few things.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.