Floor Pan Refinishing (LONG) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 AM

Last journal entry: 1978 Mercury Cougar Xr7 Cruiser Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Floor Pan Refinishing (LONG)

Hi guys. I'm redoing my 75 Hurst Olds.. Here's what my plan of attack has been

New floor pans.. 3 corners needed it. This was my procedure so far
-Cut out the old pans up to good metal. Scuffed up the new pans and applied weld through zinc coating to the bottom and top side of both pans.
-sanded and chemically removed any surface rust on the floor pans with generic naval jelly (I saw it in a post on here, worked well.. could have sandblasted but I couldn't get the car outside to do it at the time).
- zinc coated say the 2" overlap of the floor remaining in the car.
-welded in panels.. spot welded probably ever 1" 1/2" or so.
- ground down welds so they are flush.
(One could make the statement that I should have flush fit these pans and butt welded them, but I'm not doing a high dollar restoration that I want to sell someday, I can deal with a seam in the floor/not 10% perfect "appearing").

I rezinced (rezinked?) those ground down areas for protection in the garage.

Here's my plan, please tell me if you can see anything wrong.

These floor pans required me to remove the seat braces.. I have those stripped.. I felt that if the braces looked as good as they did with very minor surface rust on the bottom side in spots and the rest bare metal, so I did a combination of Piclex 20 and Zero Rust.

1. I was going to apply a seam sealer over the seams directly under each seat brace.. pre drill my 'spot weld' holes, zinc the area immediately around them, and apply Zero Rust where each seat brace sits on the floor.
2. Weld in braces
3. underneath, I was going to cut out as much of the overlapping floor pan metal that I could to make the overlap that much smaller. Also clean up the overlap about 1" away from the seam by removing undercoating.
4. Either fully weld it, or again just tack it in every 1/2" or so.. grind that down, not sure what I want to do.
5. a coat of Piclex 20 on all bare metal surfaces top side and bottom side.
6. One coat of Zero Rust above and below.
7. Apply seam sealer liberally on top (and on bottom if I do not fully weld the panel in)
8. Apply another coat of Zero Rust.
9. Then what? Epoxy top and bottom? Spray on undercoating/bed liner would do an excellent job of hiding the floor pan replacement on the bottom side?

I guess #9 is what I'm trying to figure out, and if 1 - 8 seems ok. I feel like I'm overthinking this because of the floor pan braces

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Dazed and Confused

Last journal entry: Trunk Part 21
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am full blown into replacing my floors/braces in my '64 impala convert. I'm planning on epoxying everything prior to welding. Before spraying, I put 1" round label stickers where my spot/plug welds will be.

Then, I shoot the whole works with epoxy, remove the stickers, wipe the spots down then spray the weld-thru coating only where the welds will be. This way, I have maximum epoxy coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.