Floor pans/under coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Floor pans/under coat

I have a 70 camaro that needs RS & LS full length floor pans,and the under side needs undercoated,I was wondering which would be the best way to go about this.I have only installed patch panels on floor pans,and I was wondering should I use sheet metal un-bent,or buy the complete floor pans.Which type paint should I use on the bottom I want it to look good,but it doesn't have to be a show car.Is there any way to hide the weld?I am also working outside on the ground.Any info would help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Last photo:

70 camaro is a classic, it would be a shame not to use repro floor pans IMO.

Vince
Old 04-27-2006, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
70 camaro is a classic, it would be a shame not to use repro floor pans IMO.

Vince
Yea thats probably right.Would it be a good idea to do before or after the drive line is installed?The subframe is back under the car I had it powder coated,which is the best way to install these aftermarket pans?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:51 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

It's always easiest to install floor pans with at least the transmission and driveshaft, as well as exhaust, out of the car. Install THEN paint/undercoat. Paint and underdoating will interfere with the welding. You don't have to weld continuous beads -- make ~1/4" long welds about every 1/2" around the edges. That's more than the spot welds that originally held the pans in.

The subframe shouldn't interfere with cutting the old pans out and installing the new ones -- depends on how close to the subframes you need to cut. If closer than 2-3" you probably want to remove the nice subframe -- or risk nicking it. I'd use a sawsall or air body saw to remove the pans rather than a torch. If you can see all the old spot welds it's best to just use a spot weld cutter or drill to remove the pans like the factory put them in. Replacement pans usually have a little extra metal on the edges that can be trimmed when fitting.

One more thing -- before you remove the pans make sure the car is well supported and level. The pans add a lot of rigidity to the car. It is possible to put the pans in with a slight, but unnoticeable, twist in the car body. If you do, that slight twist will always be there and show up when you install doors, fenders, etc. It will be hard to get parts aligned properly.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
It's always easiest to install floor pans with at least the transmission and driveshaft, as well as exhaust, out of the car. Install THEN paint/undercoat. Paint and underdoating will interfere with the welding. You don't have to weld continuous beads -- make ~1/4" long welds about every 1/2" around the edges. That's more than the spot welds that originally held the pans in.

The subframe shouldn't interfere with cutting the old pans out and installing the new ones -- depends on how close to the subframes you need to cut. If closer than 2-3" you probably want to remove the nice subframe -- or risk nicking it. I'd use a sawsall or air body saw to remove the pans rather than a torch. If you can see all the old spot welds it's best to just use a spot weld cutter or drill to remove the pans like the factory put them in. Replacement pans usually have a little extra metal on the edges that can be trimmed when fitting.

One more thing -- before you remove the pans make sure the car is well supported and level. The pans add a lot of rigidity to the car. It is possible to put the pans in with a slight, but unnoticeable, twist in the car body. If you do, that slight twist will always be there and show up when you install doors, fenders, etc. It will be hard to get parts aligned properly.
Thanks the only thing is I have all the panels back on the car will it affect them?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.