floor shift big truck ZF ford 5 speed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Footstomper

Last journal entry: 40 ford/cadillac coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

floor shift big truck ZF ford 5 speed

I have not been on the forum lately, I have two 40 ford coupes, one with pictures on my hotrod forum, the other, it is straight, needs patches but runs with the stock flathead. I might sell them, I am looking for a mid thirties coupe or convertible to put my 500 cadillac motor in something. I saw an advertisement for a ZF ford 250 gas with 4 speed with overdrive 5. Unknown condition, 125.00. Is that a good price? Or is there an equal GM of the same style, and would it match up for a small block chevy? There are adapters to connect it to the cadillac 500. The idea is, to use the mid-thirties car with the shifter in the correct position as original. What do you think, you all have help me out on all kind of contraptions and remedies. Thanks guys.
Footstomper either needs his head examined or maybe a good idea.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

IIRC the zf transmissions are expensive and so are the parts, would be worth a look then find a bop bellhousing, and drill trans mountaing holes accordingly if they wont line up.

Shane
Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Footstomper

Last photo:

Thanks Chevrolet 4x4s,
I have a 455 oldmobile bellhousing hooked up to my Cadillac 500, I even put a ford truck T-85 3 speed with overdrive on the back of it. The tranny came from a 67 ford F-100 with a 390 engine. People tell me that the cadillac 500 will show me the insides of the T-85 if I pop the clutch. I am not so convinced, the car I am planning to install all this is a 2500 lb car. Like a 38 oldsmobile. I would think the skinny tires would break loose before the tranny. What would you think? The 500 is almost stock?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM

500s were stump pullers,monster torque, no traction, transmission life should be fine, I am borderline worried about trans life in the truck I am planning ,6.5 diesel twin turboed and daul fmic, stock single turbo had up to 440ft lbs, camaro t-56 iirc are rated at 450ftlbs, but its going in a truck so traction will be an issue and will be driven sensable most of the time because I am going to try to squeeze 30 plus mpg out of it on the highway.

Shane
Old 01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Footstomper

Last photo:

Shane,
I am not familiar with the desiel engines, I have heard alot of the turbos being a real power source. I just switched my 58' 4 barrel intake with the 4cg, little 4 barrel, maybe 450 cfm. I got a eldebrock spread bore, added my cadillac quadrajet, 750 cfm, I have a 305 with 70cc heads, a mid cam shaft. It has a very noticeable power band now. If it flys apart, I will either get a crate motor 350. It seems to have 20 lbs of oil pressure, you can't tell about those 305's, they may run forever, I hooked up a manual oil gauge, the 40 ford oil sender was reading almost none. I have two 500 cadillac motors, both of them run good. That boat anchor might run for ever, I just don't want to cut that firewall, put too much on that firewall just to cut it out and replace it.
You mentioned that T-56 for your truck, is it a truck floor shift?, I have heard all kinds of good stuff about that tranny. Good luck on your project.
Todd
Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Yeah its going to be floor shift 2wd lowered etc,I am in the planning and collecting parts stage now, then find a host. I know that the 6.5s were kind of a black sheep but they are a good engine when mechiniacally controlled, It got as high as 21.9(n/a) when it was in my 85 k10 automatic 4x4 should do much better in a 2wd.

1973-1974 Chevrolet short stepside
Tonneau cover.
Front air dam.
Rear roll pan.
Lowered around 4/5.
Ton sway bars.
Poly bushings.
Aligned real good.
T-56 6 speed.
Synthetic lube in the rear end.
Small mirrors.
Custom built headers for the turbos(plural ).
GM-8 turbos. may go with one GM-8 and a little turbo off of a daytona or caravan..
3 inch downpipes.
3 inch or 3.5 inch NASCAR boom tubes with x pipe daul exit right under the steps no mufflers for as long as I can get away with it.
Daul front mount intercoolers.
Possibly a cowl hood to let heat out of the engine compartment better.
Free flowing air intake to the turbos.
Ported intake or maybe make custom Ram Logs similar to this.

May go with rear disc brakes.
May do a partial bellypan.
Daul electric fans.
Polish up the exhaust ports a little.
40ish psi in the tires
No A/C (I hate ac in a vehicle..gives me headaches)
And a slick shiney black paint job.
Machine pistons for 18:1 which increases the amount of boost possible and increases fuel economy

Truthfully it will probabally be around 650 ftlbs maybe more maybe less,Hopefully I wont see the insides of the trans in the rear view,It ate slush boxes in the 4x4 with out turbos

Shane
Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Footstomper

Last photo:

Shane,
How can I get one of those T-56's? Will they bolt up to a typical chevy bellhousing? I know they have a flywheel for the caddy, and an adapter too. They sell pilot bearings too. Some people say the muncie M-22 can handle the torque, 465 lbs. Since you have slushed some boxes, you have experience in what will work and what won't. What to you think?
Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 AM

I haven't buiilt the turbo diesel yet, thats just my plan list, we ran it N/A in my old 85 for several years, the 85 has a 700r4, some people swear by them but with the diesels they don't last, the t56s are the 6 speeds that came in camaros firebirds and vipers and some aston martins, I think that they will accept a regular chevy bellhousing(at least the camaro and firebird ones will mount to a chevy) If the transmission to belhousng pattern is the same you may be able to use your cadilliac bellhousing, the NV4500s are also a good transmission they came in many 90s chevy pickups. www.car-part.com and run searches for say a 1995-2003 camaro transmission 6 speed and run searches for 5 speed transmissions in 90s chevy trucks.It searches the junkyards.

Shane
Old 01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Footstomper

Last photo:

That's a good tool to find parts, There is a local salvage place very close to me, there is a 95 chevy truck 3500, I would think it might be a NV4500 floor shift, but they have alot of them from the picture. No price on it, I would want to go look what they have. I have no idea about the 1st gear, I would prefer something around 336.?, not a granny tranny. Thanks for the tip.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.