Floored - Need inspriation with truck cab floor ideas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Last journal entry: Journal Update
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Floored - Need inspriation with truck cab floor ideas

Thanks for reading this, I am currently in the process of having to do two custom floors for 2 project trucks I am doing. Both trucks are body swaps on to different frames. The 1st one I plan on tackling is my 1947 Studebaker M5 pickup on an 87 Dakota chassis. The 2nd one is a 50 Chevy pickup on a 93 S-10 Chassis. Been searching, reading threads and other peoples posts, however question comes in to use box channel, angle, etc for floor bracing and some ideas for transmission and drive shaft tunnels. If you have photos, if you can put them on here or link to them I'd appreciate it. Just need some fresh ideas.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

One of the easier things to do..I think. is to get a donor floor from something..if you are using a Dakota chassis then cut the floor out of the old Dakota cab..that has the mounts in the right place we hope..buiding a whole new pan from scratch can be a caution..Ask me how I know..

Sam
Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Floored...

Well the Dakota frame has been stripped of all of it's original mounts. I made a set of new mounts for the Stude, but not against changing them. I have to open up the firewall for the 350 as well as make a tunnel for the 700r4 plus the same thing needs to be done for my 50 Chevy pickup on an S-10 chassis. Figured I'd do the Stude first...get the hang of it and then do it again on the 50. The Dakota and S10 cabs are long gone, and a floor from scratch should be no big deal. These cabs are flat floored. Just looking for some input on the structural steel gauge as well as just some general trans hump ideas, etc. Thanks for the input.

Here's a photo in mock up.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:12 PM
youll see me sideways

Last photo:

floors......
yea......
they can be tricky!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

well in that case then I think I would go with an 18 gauge sheet metal and make some stiffeners by bending strips into angles to be tacked to the underside of the floor..be sure and put some reinforcing in way of the seat belt attachments and at the points where the cab bolts down..if you can maintain the rockers on the cabs as they provide good strength to the cab assembly..cut an outline of the trans hump at least where it goes and then just for me I like to have the hump removable so I can easily access the bellhousing bolts in the event I need to pull a trans or something..one way to do this is to get some thin ply from the lbr yard and a make at least a rough template of the metal pieces..at the intersection of the firewall and floor one can spot weld those together with a flange and that seems to work well..

I think once you cut a template out of ply and lay it in there it will come to you just where and how much reinforcing that will be needed..

The trans hump can either be a simple square corner affair or you can make it a curve if you like..

Sam
Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Floored....

Well now we are getting somewhere. Rather than bending metal into an angle, I plan to buy the material, so say a shopping list of 3/4 x 3/4 angle, some 1 x 2 or 1 x 3 box and of course the sheet metal for floor, toe and firewall. Or what would you suggest? The rockers are good on both trucks, Cab mounts can go wherever I decide to put them. I have a set on the frame now, most likely I will re-land them right were they are. Here's the way the floor is now. There's a boogered piece of bed floor for the drivers side (this was used for mock up knowing it would be replaced) There's also a seat riser under the bench. I'd like to remove that as well. The motor and trans (original Dakota v6 has been removed, and the Chevy 350 is longer meaning I will have to make room in the firewall. I plan to start putting the motor in the dakota chassis, then start on the cab of the studebaker. Just want to get some ideas before I dive into the cab.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 PM

floored

Howdy! I'm currently putting together a 47' Ford cab on a s10 frame.
For the floor I used 2x1" thin wall tube. works awesome and cheap
too. Don't have a photo yet but I'll try to get one to ya.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

2x1 for the entire floor?

Shane
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Floored....

I have seen people use angle and others use tubing. Starting to think that it's just whatever they had on hand. I don't mind buying the materials I need. Perhaps I will get a mix of angle channel and box. Now, any suggestions of gauge for the angle and box?

Last edited by sonicweb; 05-04-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:09 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have just completed the work on a 37 Ford PU. I replaced the floor under the seat. I happened to have a heavy duty mold and mallet to hammer in the stiffening ribs and used 18 ga metal. I made the ribs to stick up, vice down, so water would not stand in them it were to get wet in the cab, like leaving the windows down and it comes a down pour. I could have used 1/2 X 1/2 square tubing from 14 ga and welded them in. I made the kick board by using the original side pieces and adding the center section made to fit the recessed firewall and the 700 R 4. The center section was made from ply wood, as per the original and it was easily cut to clear the 700 R 4 and the final build was made to cover the tranny and marry to the wood and kick board. You can see PICs of all these in my journal titled JBs 37 Pickup.

Trees
Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Floored

Trees, ironically I was looking at your journal before you posted. Some good ideas there. Thanks for chiming in, I will take a closer look at your journal again.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.