Flooring underlayment... did I F** up? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Flooring underlayment... did I F** up?

I have been redoing my kitchen - stripped down to bare walls, new cabinets, brought electrics up to code, tore down the floor to the subfloor. I'll also admit to being a tiny bit of a flooring noob. Ok, a big flooring noob.

In preparation for new Marmoleum tile (much like commercial vinyl tile) I laid new 5/8" B/C sanded ply, screwed it down every 6" on the perimeters and 12" in the field. Went down beautifully, no gaps. I used Henry 331 floor patch on all the countersinks, all the seams, and one very small void in the veneer. Turned out VERY nice.

I had rolled the fridge out to get what was under it, and I now have lovely little tracks in the floor. They can be repaired with some more patching stuff, but did I screw myself for using B/C? I asked about using hardwood ply and everyone said that it has as many voids in the underlying plies as B/C and its unavoidable.

So, once I lay the tile, how do I get the fridge back in its corner without F**king up the floor? 5 years from now if I need a new fridge, am I just going to destroy the floor again? So frustrated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

We had some of those same problems when I installed the heavy wood stoves, having to roll them on a flat dolly over new tile or hardwood floors. Either use a flat dolly with inflatable tires or a few sheets of thin plywood/hardboard to roll on. Many of the new hardwoods are not that hard, a lot of the vinyls are very soft also. If you can, borrow an Escalara to raise the fridge, then set the fridge on a flat dolly or if using sheets of wood to roll on, roll with the Escalara.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

You could have checked w/ the flooring manufacturer to see what their reccomendation was/is. Many won't warrantey the floor unless X underlay spec. is used. Around here we use a 5/16" 5 ply aspen underlayment that is accepted by most flooring manufacturer's. The fastening protocol is 3" o.c. perimeter , 6" o.c. in the field .
dave
Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Those reefer rollers from the hdware store help with that problem a lot and yse the issue you are having is a common one.

Sam
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the pointers. The Marmoleum I bought was surplus from someone who bought too much, so no warranty to be concerned with, but I still want it done right. I cheaped out a little bit with the B/C. The manufacturer recommends birch ply, but four things prevented me from doing that: 1) the birch ply I saw had just as many voids in the plies below it as B/C, 2) it was almost twice as much, 3) birch really isn't much harder than pine/fir, and 4) two flooring guys at HD pointed me toward the B/C

The fridge doesn't fit in/out of the kitchen without taking the doors off, so I decided to use the fridge to my advantage. I'm going to tile up to the fridge, then lay 3/16" tempered hardboard on the tile and roll the fridge on to it to do the rest. That not only prevents damage, but I can leave the fridge there for a few days to help the tile really bond with the adhesive on a high-traffic area.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

To heck with questioning it.... I just went to the store and bought 10 sheets of Hardi-backer.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Those reefer rollers from the hdware store help with that problem a lot and yse the issue you are having is a common one.

Sam
Good luck,The reefer rollers at my local store have a hard enough time adding up the bill and giving change...
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Good luck,The reefer rollers at my local store have a hard enough time adding up the bill and giving change...
LOL, I get it DBM.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.