Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Floorplan choice
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM

Last journal entry: I HATE BONDO
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Floorplan choice

I've recently picked up a 51 Chevy truck cab that my son & I are going to be building up into a custom hotrod.

It has some of the typical rust. One rear corner is shot and the other has some slight rust through. The bottom of the cowls are shot as well. The floor is there, but severely rusted and structurally unsound.

I can get all the replacement panels I need for about $900. The biggest chunk of that is $540 for the floorplan. Since my driver's door is not closing properly, I feel I should let someone with experience square the floor back up so everything lines back up.

I'm assuming that a good bodyman can build a new floorpan out of 16 gauge sheetmetal (with maybe some 1x1 tube reinforcement) for much less. I'm not going for an original restoration and it's going to be covered in carpet. So either way will work for me.

I know some people are concerned about doing a floorpan before placing the transmission. There's enough room where the transmission cover to adjust for the transmission placement, so I'm not concerned about that. So removing that, what is eveyone's opinion on replacement floorpans verses custom floors?