Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Florida Theft Recovery Law (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/florida-theft-recovery-law-62808.html)

farazharoon 05-16-2005 05:52 AM

Florida Theft Recovery Law

Dear Sir,
I realise that you do not know me but I noticed on the forum that you seem to have a fair bit of knowledge concerning Florida and in general state laws concerning registration/titles. If you could give me some advice with the below situation it would be greatly appreciated.

I am living in Texas and have found a BMW 325 online at autotrader.com for very cheap which is loacted in Florida. The catch being that the vehicle has a Certificate of Destruction as a title. I called the seller and he told me this. That the car had been stolen at one point, the owners were paid for the car by the insurance company because it wasn't found within 60 days(apparently Florida law). Then it showed up later and the insurance sold it to the seller with a Cert of Destruction title. Which he is selling online now. He says that it is FL law that a car which has already been paid for by the insurance cannot be put back on the road in FL.
Sir, my question to you is, is this how Florida law work? Would they issue a Cert of Destruction because the insurance has already paid for it? I have done some research and I read that if a car has more then 80% damage it they issue a Cert of Destruction. Coudn't find anything about the insurance. Do you think he's lying or there is another law that I am not aware of?

If what the seller says is true. And this car is in good conditon with only 73,000 miles. And the Cert of Destruction was given due to the insurance law & not damage. I would ask my second question to you sir.
Is there anyway to transfer this Cert of Destruction to a salvage, reconstructed, assembled parts or rebuilable title? e.g in another state

Thank you once again for your time,
I would very much appreciate your reply,
Faraz LalDin

61bone 05-17-2005 09:14 PM

I don't know Florida law, but it is easy to find out. Search www.florida.gov. Look under codified laws. You should be able to find every law concerning motor vehicles in just one section. Good luck :)

fatboyman05 04-26-2008 03:01 PM

I'll only speak to what I know, a florida "salvage" title cant be put back on the road in florida. it's a newer law. in talking to my insurance agent earlier this week, her son wrecked a custom truck and they totaled it and paid 3K, however she could have bought it back to fix up or sell but it couldnt have been put back on the road in FL. The new law in florida was put in place to stop some people who were re-building wrecked cars and selling them as never wrecked.

I suggest you also look into how Texas looks at that title comming from another state. I would also confirm that (once you know how Texas would re-title it) you can get the insurance you need on it.

schnitz 04-27-2008 12:06 AM

Moving this to the lounge area where hopefully more "viewer traffic" can see this and be of more service to it.

In a while, Chet.

OneMoreTime 04-27-2008 01:16 AM

My B.S. Detector is going off as this deal makes no sense at all to me.. :nono: :pain: Typically insurance owned vehicles go to the auction where they are either sold for scrap..or to wrecking yards for parting out..Anything that is a usable car goes to used car lots with a clean title..Clean in the sense that the car has a legal title..this deal makes no sense to me as any car that is beyond repair has the title turned in and goes to the crusher..

I would back away from any deal where I cannot get a good title on the car..

Sam