Hot Rod Forum banner

Flowmaster or ?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kleen56 
#1 ·
What's a good "muffler" for a streetable gasser? Running flowmaster 10's on 1 5/8" headers now but going to 2" headers. I've heard some bad commits on flowmasters. I'm guessing restrictive?

As to headers, I'm thinking tri-5 fenderwell gasser headers on a sbc 41 Willys?

#2 ·
I hope you're going to a BBC to match those 2" headers!:D

FM muffs have gotten a bad reputation. Whether it's deserved or not, I cannot personally say, having never run them back-to-back w/other muffs w/no other changes. If you believe the manufacturers of other mufflers, the FM's suck. There might be unbiased tests that have been done, I'd only use that, not ANY manufacturer's published numbers. Numbers can be made to look however you want them to look. Old saying: There are lies, damned lies, and there are statistics. Same thing holds true here IMO.;)

#8 ·
Guess I can contact Thrush and ask them about them as they're arn't shown on the site.

Learn something new everyday. Hate it when the parts sites don't mention that you'll need this or that to go along with the part.

Yeah, it's a streetdriven gasser (sbc 41 Willys) and I drive 85 miles or 130 miles to the track when I race.

Thanks for your reply.

#10 ·
This is another one of those controversial subjects of what's better. There is no definite answer. It's what you like and works for you. One person may run one brand and another swears by another. I'm not into racing my streetrod on a track or quarter mile strip, but I've run several mufflers experimenting. I would never buy Magnaflow again because they were expensive and didn't sound good. I've been running Flowmasters and the sound is nice, quiet at cruise speed and opens up when on the pedal. As for performance, really can't see a big difference with any of the brands I've tried particularly running a Small block. I guess some people feel the louder the exhaust, therefore the faster the car? Maybe there is a difference with the big blocks, a different story. Most of the gassers I've seen run glass packs! Just to put a mix into it... LOL..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.