Flowmaster (Dronemaster) Super44's - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anytime the exit of almost any muffler under the vehicle magnafies the exhaust tone 3 fold due to the "echo" effect. Back in the day I always ran headers with true duals into sonic turbo mufflers with no tail pipes, behind my small block it sounded mean, I loved the deep tone, it made car alarms go off, had to love that too. But the interior noise got too much after a while so I had the tail pipes added out the back which pretty much eliminated the noise. Later on and on a different car, I used headers, straight pipes into flowmasters again with no tail pipes. It sounded really good, and really nasty when you got on it. However, one day I ran to run to the airport, 120 miles away to get my then girl friend in that car. 2800 RPM with flowmasters ran like that for over a hour gets on your nerves something awful. When I got to the airport I may as well been deaf as all I could hear in my ears was flowmaster. So later I switched it over to turbo mufflers and had pipes added out the back. Now I have a chevy truck with a 4.3 V6 that`s modified. I had duals run into a single turbo muffler, and split again into duals out the back, it sounds fair, but it still has the V6 sound. I tried a flowmaster I had laying around on it first, but it sounded like a swarm of angry bees coming at you with a chain saw, I hated it so it had to go, that was why I put a turbo in it`s place. Playing with open mufflers under cars taught me alot, you can install turn downs and reduce the noise considerably.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Strawberries never die

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

You can place glasspacks right off the headers flanger. They Will NOT burn out in a year or two. 10+ years and going.

Hooker makes such a product , the purple horny.

Prophanity using dick. There is more to it than this guy has knowledge of.

What psi is your back pressure?

Exiting pipes out the rear is the best. There is a low pressure pocket that draws gases out at speed. At take off there is measureable trust.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Mopar or no car.

Wow. I'm running 2 1/2" duels with flow master 40's just dumping under my truck, and with the windows up You can hardly hear them. But i'm not running a 502 or headers.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Why waste my time by posting on this thread for the simple act of trying to flame me for asking a question about running a set of resonators.

I've been on this board since 03, doing just about all of the work myself (a fact that you might have noticed had you taken the time to check my gallery before busting out your flame thrower..) coincidentally it's about the same time you graced us with your omnipotence if I am not mistaken.

It must be hard for you, hanging around such an unenlightened crowd.. seeing as how you are such a perfect person .. I see guys like you at car shows all the time.. pissed off at the world.. why dont you go find a different hobby, or perhaps move a little further north of nome where you have no access to "the internet service".. loser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1
Now, I can understand your problem. You don't do your own work. You have others do the work for you. Therefore, the PRE-PLANING gets lost in the translation. It must be very humbling for you to come to this forum and ask for assistance. If you had known what the guy with the '68 Vette had for clearance under his car, exhaust wise, then you could appreciate what he was saying to you. Just for the record, he has an X frame with a drive shaft coming through the middle, a positive battery cable, an emergency cable and two exhaust pipes all within a space of about 14" X 60" and he was able to get his pipes run within it.

You, on the other hand, have 24 inches of axle tube on either side which once housed a coil spring as big a your air ride bladder and you can't see a way to run a 3" pipe over the axle tube. Is that your problem? Think about it!

Last edited by SS66chevelle; 09-28-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Thanks to everyone besides little boy for their help and ideas. After working with the guys at the shop we decided to run 3" tailpipes under the rear end and then into the magnaflow magnapacks which fit very nicely between the outside of the rear frame rails and the quarter panel trunk extensions - just as depicted in the diagram of the cuda exhaust posted earlier. Directly attached to the magnapacks is a turndown that exits right at the bumper.

There is still some mild droning at about 2000-2300 but it's very reasonable considering the nature of the super44's. I think it sounds great - exactly the sound that I was after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
You can place glasspacks right off the headers flanger. They Will NOT burn out in a year or two. 10+ years and going.

Hooker makes such a product , the purple horny.

Prophanity using dick. There is more to it than this guy has knowledge of.

What psi is your back pressure?

Exiting pipes out the rear is the best. There is a low pressure pocket that draws gases out at speed. At take off there is measureable trust.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.