Flowmaster (Dronemaster) Super44's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flowmaster (Dronemaster) Super44's

Hey All
Finally got the chevelle out on the road after the 7 year resto and although I never thought I would say it, the super 44's drone is absolutely unbearable at 2000 RPM I mean it's the worst I've ever heard in my life, it has got to be well over 110db inside the car. Even at idle it rattles the china in the china cabinet inside the house which is quite a distance from the garage. I know this sounds really cool and for a mostly strip/all out race car it absolutely is, but not for my 100% street cruiser. Part of this, of course is my fault because there is no room for tailpipes over the rear end with the air ride system in place.

The car has lizard skin ceramic coating on the underside and the Lizard Skin sound deadner on all interior floors, doors and roof. I also have dynamat under the carpet, and the carpet has a thick pad on it.

My setup:
ZZ502 1 7/8 headers, pypes 3" stainless with X pipe into Super 44's that dump right before the rear axle and each has a turndown pointed at a 45 degree angle outward.

My question:
Has anyone run a similar setup and added a bullett style muffler BEFORE the flowmaster? I am looking at installing two 5" round 20 inch long magnapacks right after the X pipe and then into the flowmasters to quiet down the drone and the rasp during gear shifts.

I've considered changing the mufflers to magnaflows (et. al) but even with a 20+ incher and no tailpipes I dont think it's going to cut down the drone enough with a single muffler on each pipe.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have actually gone through a similar situation themselves and what steps they took (besides adding tailpipes) that worked for them.

Advertisement

Last edited by SS66chevelle; 09-22-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I have 2 1/2 dual exhaust and tried glass packs first, then a used set of flowmasters I got from a buddy. with respect for my neighbors, I switched to Napa super turbo's. Nobody ever said anything about the other muffs but I'm sure my neighbors hated me when I come home at 4 AM from work. The turbo's really cut the noise just cruising but still sound off when a gas on it.
I have the same tailpipe configuration as you do. 3 1/2 ft of tailpipe and 45* turn down just ahead of the rear axle. It's going to be difficult to gag a 3" exhaust.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

The street cruisers that sounded awesome at the drive in, or burger joint has much less in it. Mostly warmed 350 V8's with less than .440" lift. The standard /forgotten way of noise reduction was to use a 2 1/2" glasspack into walker dual chamber turbo muffler. Now people tuck up a welded muffler in the middle and call it a day. Not close to reducing sound or controlling interior noise. The 70 OEM hemi cuda had resonators(glasspacks) after that leading far back as possible to the muffler. Some other designs put the muffler first then the resonator. A resonator is not a fancy tip. Almosty all new car manufactures have a resonator first and then the muffler. Trick is to place the muffler far back as possible. A Dual exhaust 500" v8 needs each bank to be Y split after the glasspacks. After the Y add 4 dyno max reduced diameter mufflers , one to each branch. It will be crowded , but will quiet a mighty beast.

Only the original 50 3 chamber flowmasters have the correct sound. The 40's and such are made for performance not sound control.

Some backpressure is not bad. You can check your exhaust pressure with a manometer.

Don't bother with a X or a H pipe. No difference in sound level, but people will lie to you and make you feel better. In fact these crossovers add a clicking noise that is very recognizable in the exhaust note.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E_body_exhaust_diagramBIG.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	48304  

Last edited by spinn; 09-22-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 AM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Thanks for the pic of the cuda exhaust layout.. This is what I am going to try on my chevelle only with the resonators closer to the headers (just after the X pipe since I already have it on there) due to my no-tailpipe issue. I ordered the 5" round magnaflow magnapacks and will have them installed before the flowmasters. Apparently, the magnapacks are filled with steel wool instead of fiberglass for durability and I got the 5" over the 4" for a bit extra capacity. I may still need to swap the super 44's with something a bit more mellow to get the sound where I want it, but I am going to try this first.

Admittedly, this is my first 3" system on a big block and I have obviously severely underestimated the sound levels.. It really does sound good at idle from a few feet away with the thumpr cam (after a month and a half of tuning that god aweful thing) but the drone is killing me haha..

Once I get this done I will post the results here in case this thread can help someone else in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
The street cruisers that sounded awesome at the drive in, or burger joint has much less in it. Mostly warmed 350 V8's with less than .440" lift. The standard /forgotten way of noise reduction was to use a 2 1/2" glasspack into walker dual chamber turbo muffler. Now people tuck up a welded muffler in the middle and call it a day. Not close to reducing sound or controlling interior noise. The 70 OEM hemi cuda had resonators(glasspacks) after that leading far back as possible to the muffler. Some other designs put the muffler first then the resonator. A resonator is not a fancy tip. Almosty all new car manufactures have a resonator first and then the muffler. Trick is to place the muffler far back as possible. A Dual exhaust 500" v8 needs each bank to be Y split after the glasspacks. After the Y add 4 dyno max reduced diameter mufflers , one to each branch. It will be crowded , but will quiet a mighty beast.

Only the original 50 3 chamber flowmasters have the correct sound. The 40's and such are made for performance not sound control.

Some backpressure is not bad. You can check your exhaust pressure with a manometer.

Don't bother with a X or a H pipe. No difference in sound level, but people will lie to you and make you feel better. In fact these crossovers add a clicking noise that is very recognizable in the exhaust note.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have the 3 chamber 50 series Flowmasters about a foot behind my 'H' pipe and with approximately 3' of tailpipe on my '31. When I first started the car with those mufflers, they droned some at idle right up through 2000 rpm. Now that I have a few miles and hours on them and the car, the drone has about gone away. While they are not particularly quiet (about like a Mustang GT), the neighbors haven't complained yet.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

With all the posts about the Flowmaster drone on all the automotive forums on the internet, why is this a surprise to anyone? More importantly, the (no)Flowmasters are consistently among the most restrictive mufflers in every published muffler flow test I've ever seen. Get Walker Dynomax Super Turbos.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Now that I have a few miles and hours on them and the car, the drone has about gone away.
or, maybe your hearing has gone away.

all jokes aside. i'm going thru the same problem with my truck. i have summit mufflers on it of unknown model. we have a set of flowmasters take-offs in the shop that i was going to try but maybe not after reading this.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

For the life of me I can't understand how people insist on dumping their exhaust UNDER the car and then complain about the noise. I've got a c1500 shortbox with a wild 388 in it with 3" and super 44s, and I can listen to the radio at moderate gain levels. The trick? Run the pipes out the back!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM

Last journal entry: Unpacking
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T
For the life of me I can't understand how people insist on dumping their exhaust UNDER the car and then complain about the noise. I've got a c1500 shortbox with a wild 388 in it with 3" and super 44s, and I can listen to the radio at moderate gain levels. The trick? Run the pipes out the back!
"Part of this, of course is my fault because there is no room for tailpipes over the rear end with the air ride system in place."
Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

I have a 2.5" full exhaust (no crossover or h-pipe) with FM super 44's and I don't get any drone at all but then again my mufflers are at the end of the system too.. Instead mine sound like tins cans during a cold start but do sound awesome once they warm up..
Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Umm well good for you!! as I stated in my original posting which you may have missed, its because there is no room for tailpipes with an air ride suspension.. lower the car, crush the pipes plain and simple.. hence my posting and request for alternative ideas...

Regardless... The 5" round magnapacks are here from summit and I have an appointment at 8am tomorrow to have them installed as resonators before the super44's if that doesnt fix it I'll simply ditch the 44's for a turbo style muffler..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T
Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjammer38
"Part of this, of course is my fault because there is no room for tailpipes over the rear end with the air ride system in place."
Then, the answer is simplier. Put the pipes UNDER the rear end or out the sides in front of each rear wheel. If you want to sit the frame down on the ground with your air ride then C the frame and use 3"oval pipe to get your clearance.

Putting a resonator in front front of a muffler isn't going to do dick amd it appears you DON"T want to change to a better muffler even though 3 people suggested it.

If you want the pipes over the rear end and you need more room, then, cut the trunk floor out and modify a passage to make it fit. The choice was there when you decided to put 3 inch pipes and air bags, its called PRE-planing.

Good luck on your endeavour.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Last journal entry: Unpacking
Last photo:

that first parts a good idea
Old 09-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS66chevelle
Umm well good for you!!...........................

Regardless... .............................I have an appointment at 8am tomorrow to have them installed as resonators before the super44's if that doesnt fix it I'll simply ditch the 44's for a turbo style muffler..
Now, I can understand your problem. You don't do your own work. You have others do the work for you. Therefore, the PRE-PLANING gets lost in the translation. It must be very humbling for you to come to this forum and ask for assistance. If you had known what the guy with the '68 Vette had for clearance under his car, exhaust wise, then you could appreciate what he was saying to you. Just for the record, he has an X frame with a drive shaft coming through the middle, a positive battery cable, an emergency cable and two exhaust pipes all within a space of about 14" X 60" and he was able to get his pipes run within it.

You, on the other hand, have 24 inches of axle tube on either side which once housed a coil spring as big a your air ride bladder and you can't see a way to run a 3" pipe over the axle tube. Is that your problem? Think about it!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sheesh everyone has an opinion about a car thats not theirs.

Here's mine!

You might be disappointed with the durability of your glasspacks in front of the mufflers, been there and done that and wasted a lot of money changing them every year or two.

Might I suggest a resonator that is entirely steel with no packing? These all steel items are meant for diesel application and only come in 4" or 5" but that only reduces backpressure right! Only 17.5 " long too!

https://store.ftediesel.com/home/vie...3&idcategory=8

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.