Flowmaster Super 44 vs.. anything - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM
New Age Classic

Last journal entry: Seat
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flowmaster Super 44 vs.. anything

I'm to the point on my build where i'm looking to run out new exhaust. Right now i have a sbc 355. lunati cam 268 adv dur 489 lift 1800-6200 rpm range. I have aftermarket headers that are big can't remember the size. But i'm running 3" from the headers out with a x pipe in there too. I'm just wondering about which muffler to put under there. I really want to have a deep throaty mean sound all the way around. So I am thinking about the flowmaster super 44 but not sure about the 40 delta or normal 40's. My buddy is telling me to go with a set of thrushers cause half the price. He claims they the same build as the flowmasters. I'm open for suggestions on any muffler as long as it's deep and mean. Thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You have way too much pipe for a small block for starters. 3 inch isn`t really needed until you get up in the big block area.
One trick to the trade of a deep tone is to cut the pipe before it exits the vehicle, if the exhaust is coming out under the vehicle it`s louder because the vehicle itself is acting as a reflection chamber, but this can be a safety issue if the exhaust finds it`s way into the cab.
I`ve played with flowmasters and other mufflers, but I`ve always went back to Dynomax super turbo`s. They give one of the deepest tones out there.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:36 AM
More for Less Racer

If you want rhe best - Magnaflow or Borla. There are some pro engine builders that have done some testing that have a pet name for Flowmaster, they call them "Flow-chokers". and say the best thing Flowmaster has is a good MARKETING department.

The winners of the yearly Jegs PopularHotRodding Engine Masters contest are almost always using MagnaFlow or Borla or Dynomax Bullets if that tells you anything.

Hooker and Dynomax make good less expensive mufflers if you find Magnaflow or Borla too expensive.

If you want deep and mean the Dynomax Bullet is the one, it is real obnoxious.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 AM

Last photo:

The summit fully welded mufflers are great, they sound good and are only 37 dollars each. They're chambered like a flowmaster and sound mean when you dump them.

They don't sound quite like a flowmaster but use the same principle design so they have still have a deep tin-like tone.

Also, the summit race mufflers are knockoff flowmasters that sound pretty much the same. Check them out too.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 AM

flowmaster or flowmonster or summit chambered mufflers.i had a pair of magnaflows with 3 inch on my ol 68 454 chevelle and i went to flowmaster 40s ever since but the flowmonster that sells on ebay is cheap and has same design and the summit chambered ones are same and cheap too.i agree about 3 inch is too big for sbc but if youve already got it i guess its ok,ive always been told no more thasn 2 1/2 for small blocks
Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Find some sound clips online and see which you like better. Personally, flowmasters have a tinny sound I don't like. Magnaflows have more bass to my ears. More oldshool.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

3" is fine. I second the move for magnaflows. My buddy got me hooked on them.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

i have to dissagree AP, i think that 3" if a bit bigger than what he needs, especially if he has a dual pattern cam (not sure if he does). for exhaust diameter size i always follow these rules: less than 300ish hp = 2 1/4", between 300-500ish hp = 2 1/2" exhaust, over 500ish hp 3". i personally dont like flowmasters and i dont like the things i've heard about them. i have always used Dynomax, i use their bullets on my camaro and i have their super turbos on my 3/4T truck, magnaflows cost too much in my opinion and borla is way too expensive
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

you won't see any gain going to a 2 1/4" exhaust, the only benefit is ground clearance.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM
New Age Classic

Last journal entry: Seat
Last photo:

Hey guys thanks for information. I have not purchased the pipe yet so I could go down to the 2 1/2 inch and save a little money. So my next question is would three inch make it sound deeper though? And i really like the dynomax bullet sound juts listened to a few on youtube. But what is the difference in sound with the different sizes? in my current jegs mag there is 4" round 5" round and 6" round any suggestions and information on this would be great. for pipe i'm getting the jegs universal x pipe kit. Thanks for the great input guys keep it coming.

Hey guys I also came across the dynomax ultra x flo what the opinions on that one. I like them both. I DONT want to be screaming loud more deep and throaty. Thanks let me know what you all think

Last edited by 70CHEVYSHORTY; 04-05-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: ADDED INFO
Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

i would recomend the 2 1/2" pipe, there is absolutely no need for 3", if you dont want it to be loud then dont go with the Dynomax bullets, they are what i run on a 11 sec car and they are loud. you should look more into the other muffler that you mentioned
Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

flowmasters are terrible.

hooker areo-chambers make a very deep sound. about 1/2 as loud as a flowmaster and flow 50% more. a good muffler but a little loud for everyday driving. for a quieter setup, use a few dynomax bullets by the headers then a few aero-chambers on the ends.

I like quiet so I prefer the dynomax super turbos. they flow better than a flow master at 1/4 of the volume.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.