Hot Rod Forum banner

Flowmaster SUV vs Magnaflow

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  American Muscle 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use either of these mufflers? I'm looking to put one of the two on my 91 chevy pickup that currently has stock 305 and stock exhaust. I will be putting a 350 in with a mild cam and most likely headers next year. I do not want it much louder than stock but would like a healthy rumble.

Would either of these give me what I'm looking for? I've heard some clips on you tube but it's difficult to tell how loud they are since the sound will vary with my computer speaker volume.

#2 ·
For the money , you can't beat magnaflow. Stainless is better than crappy mild steel of crapmasters and they really flow, unlike chokemaster mufflers. Plus with a 8.5 to 1 compression 305, and a cat, you are not gonna have alot of noise anyway, even if you ran straight manifolds.

#8 ·
I ran a 3" single exhaust with a 3" center in/offset out Dynomax super turbo on my old '95 350. Had a very mellow rumble to it with little interior noise. Sounded good on the outside without being too loud.

#9 ·
I would use the cheapy thrush turbo`s, they are not much louder than stock, and they give the engine a nice deep rumble in the cruise RPM range and they sound off good under wide open throttle. Usually any turbo muffler will fill the bill. You should be able to load sound clips off YouTube. Just type in the mufflers name and sometimes you`ll get several hits. I`ve used flowmasters and several other types of mufflers and I always came back to Turbo`s. If you add a crossover or X pipe it helps quiet it down even more.

#12 ·
Magnaflows all the way. I wouldn't spend a dime of my money on any other muffler after having Magnaflows. They produce a nice sound but yet are still pretty quiet. They REALLY flow good too, they dont have baffles and chambers that restrict flow like the flowmasters. You couldn't pay me to take a flowmaster.

#15 ·
It looks like the kit you chose will serve you nicely. I wish I would have had the time to order a dual out muffler, it likely would have made my system sound deeper. Instead I used a splitter. I think there are the standard turbo mufflers summit carries that are single in and out.

#16 ·
Anyone have a good clip of these summit turbo mufflers (or the 2 into 1 muffler I picked out) on a 305 or 350? All the clips I found vary in sound and I don't be completely sure I'm listening to the right muffler.

I want to make sure this muffler won't be much louder than stock but will sound good and will growl when I get on it. I'm pretty sure my dad has these on his 70 chevelle but he's not sure. It is pretty quiet at idle but sounds mean (still not loud tho) when you are accellerating and then above 3k rpm it really starts to growl!! i know a 305/350 will never sound like a 454 but it would be nice if it would have the same characteristics.

#18 ·
enduro54 said:
Bump. Anyone?
IMO you are expecting way too much from a muffler- you'll still have a stock engine, and it will still sound like a stock engine.

The best muffler for flow and sound is a Magnaflow. Summit's are cheaper but they do not have the quality and no one agrues that.

If you want your car to sound like you have a mean engine then you need to put a mean engine in it. There are no short cuts in life.

#20 ·
enduro54 said:
nope, you misunderstood. I'm looking for a muffler that is quiet at idle and part throttle but flows and sounds good when you need it at almost or WOT. i need a muffler, not a sermon about life....

you want a magnaflow. they deliver exactly what you're asking for, but the loudness will be somewhat lacking as you have a stock engine- a muffler cannot change that.

#22 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x***d5M84E

Installed magnaflows on my crown vic, has 4 converters and stock 2 inch pipes,and its no louder than stock at idle and nice rumble , if you don't want to spend that much money, summit turbos are like 24 bucks a piece, flow good and sound about the same. and yes there is only one type of summit turbo, but alot of summit brand mufflers, just they are different types welded, stainless etc. Min size you want is 2 1/2 inlet and outlet. 2 inch is a waste of money on any small block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.