FLOWMASTER's?????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

FLOWMASTER's??????

I just purchased an exhaust system for my car, and paid for flowmaters. I crawled under the car and did not see the stamped flowmasters logo that has been on the other sets of flowmasters I have owned in the past.

Do all flowmasters have their name stamped on them? I could not feel the stamp on the top side of the muffler either.

I want to know for sure before I make accusations of the guy who installed my mufflers.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

It is only stamped on one side, so make more sure that it is not on the top before you make a fool out of yourself down at the shop.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl
It is only stamped on one side, so make more sure that it is not on the top before you make a fool out of yourself down at the shop.
So to keep me from making a fool of my self, what do you suppose I do? I felt the top side of the muffler and there was no stamp.

Should I cut the muffler off? Cause I don't like that idea.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

Does your receipt say flowmaster on it? If it does I would stop by a different shop and ask the person if they are flowmasters or not. Then deal with the installer as needed.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

A well placed inspection mirror might be a better way, just to make sure, but on mine the emboss is pretty high and would be easy to feel. I just like to make sure the crow is dead before I eat it.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Both are good ideas, it's just on the two other cars I have had with Flows one was on top and one was visible but it was easy to tell on both cars, there was a flow masters stamp in the metal.

Yes it does say flowmaster on the recipt. And in my opinion I paid for them.

A little bothered by this situation, not to mention that I drove the car for a day and all of the flange bolts came loose, and 4 of the nuts got lost. So I had to throw some lock washers (on all 6 bolts) and new nuts on the flanges.
The Following User Says Thank You to pittbull7934 For This Useful Post:
RHOPPER (08-17-2012)
Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This happens all the time. I`ve seen more than one guy say he got flowmasters when what he really got was the cheap copy cat of the flowmaster. Every FM I ever seen has the name on the case. The cheap copy cats have nothing on the case. Many exhaust shops pull this scam, you pay for flowmasters but you don`t get them, instead you get a cheap copy that sounds almost identical. This one moron I seen out of town paid for flowmasters and the guy installed glass packs, and the owner didn`t know the difference and I didn`t have the heart to tell him how bad he got took.
In the world today the rule is what you don`t know can hurt you.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
This happens all the time. I`ve seen more than one guy say he got flowmasters when what he really got was the cheap copy cat of the flowmaster. Every FM I ever seen has the name on the case. The cheap copy cats have nothing on the case. Many exhaust shops pull this scam, you pay for flowmasters but you don`t get them, instead you get a cheap copy that sounds almost identical. This one moron I seen out of town paid for flowmasters and the guy installed glass packs, and the owner didn`t know the difference and I didn`t have the heart to tell him how bad he got took.
In the world today the rule is what you don`t know can hurt you.

Yea I have I'm a little paranoid about paying people to do work on my cars because of some jerk mechanics that took me when I was a kid, Which is a huge reason why I do 99 percent of the work myself but also check any work I have paid for.

Like I said I have had 2 pairs of flowmasters on other cars and they had the name stamped on them.

The funny thing is the guy made a point to tell me they are not cheap knock offs, which instantly raisd a red flag for me.

The funny thing is that I wanted Borlja's and he insisted I go with flows, cause they are cheaper and last longer. I wish I would have just went with the Borjla's
Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I don`t think there is a borla knock off, hence the reason why he wanted you to go with flow copy cats. I wouldn`t take this, I would take a few guys with me and return to his shop and tell him flat those aren`t flowmasters and either you compensate the extra money I paid you or you replace the crap on there with flowmasters. Because if your reciept says you paid for flowmasters and that`s not what`s on there then you have a case in small claims court. The cheapy mufflers also act like flowmasters in a way, as when flowmasters break in over a month`s period they sound different than they do when new. However, the cheapy jobs also change sound, they get louder and louder as time goes on, within a year they`re alot louder due to the internal flow directors have rotted out and the sound is different. My nephew has these mufflers on his truck and they are way louder than any flowmaster I ever heard and if you listen to his they sound like straight pipes as that`s all they really are since the internals have rusted out.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I don`t think there is a borla knock off, hence the reason why he wanted you to go with flow copy cats. I wouldn`t take this, I would take a few guys with me and return to his shop and tell him flat those aren`t flowmasters and either you compensate the extra money I paid you or you replace the crap on there with flowmasters. Because if your reciept says you paid for flowmasters and that`s not what`s on there then you have a case in small claims court. The cheapy mufflers also act like flowmasters in a way, as when flowmasters break in over a month`s period they sound different than they do when new. However, the cheapy jobs also change sound, they get louder and louder as time goes on, within a year they`re alot louder due to the internal flow directors have rotted out and the sound is different. My nephew has these mufflers on his truck and they are way louder than any flowmaster I ever heard and if you listen to his they sound like straight pipes as that`s all they really are since the internals have rusted out.

Yea, Thats the plan, Once I am 100 percent positive they are fakes, I was panning on confronting him about it, i don't want problems, but I have no problem paying a good exhaust guy to put in real ones in and suing him for the additional cost. It's bad business, and the sad thing is that He was recomended.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

Just spoke with a flowmaster tech, and he said if it is a flowmaster it will have their stamp on the muffler.

However he did say they do make some mufflers that are black (which i did not know)
Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

Double and triple checked my mufflers, he actually installed one seem up and one seem down so I actually can see both sides of the muffler, I also molested the tops of both mufflers (the part I could not see) twice, and guess what? there is no stamp on either.

I called the guy, and he swore up and down that they are flowmasters, said some types of flowmasters don't have their name on them.

I Called the flowmaster tech (again) and he said that the exhaust guy is lying. It looks like I will have to pay to get real flowmasters put on it, and sue him for that cost.

This sucks, but I am not letting this slide, I am really peeved

The flowmaster tech said he is going to call the guy to inform him he is mistaken. But beyond taking him off of their authorized dealer list there is not any more they can do.

If anyone knows of any reputable exhaust shops in SAN DIEGO, CA please let me know. The place this happened to me at is Jack's Mufflers on University ave. So, please do not recomend them.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Just to satisfy myself, I just crawled under my car (it's on ramps, or no way ) and there the stamp is right next to the seam along with what looks like a part number. Mine are 50 Series plus I knew that they were FM's because I took 'em out of the boxes myself and welded up my own exhaust.

Dave W
Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Whew!

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?page=60

Above is the link to flowmaster's site.

Well a phone call from the flowmaster tech to the exhaust guy "educated" him on the fact that if it does not say flowmaster, it is in fact not a flowmaster.

He prompty called me and told me that his distributor told him they were flowmaster's and that he called the distributor and they swore up and down they were flowmaster's

With that said, we made an appointment for him to put the proper mufflers on next week (he has to order them, and I am assuming from a different distibutor).

I am glad I did not have to make any threats of any kind and it appears it is going to be handled in a positive way.

Thanks for the help,

Dustin

Last edited by pittbull7934; 10-01-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Just to satisfy myself, I just crawled under my car (it's on ramps, or no way ) and there the stamp is right next to the seam along with what looks like a part number. Mine are 50 Series plus I knew that they were FM's because I took 'em out of the boxes myself and welded up my own exhaust.

Dave W
I've tried welding (I have never been taught ANYTHING about welding) and I seem to just melt stuff. So I have others do it for me

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.