Hot Rod Forum banner

Are Flowmasters necessary?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DeathRattle 
#1 ·
I've got a 300ish hp SBC in my TA, super crap shorty hedman hedders(i haven't installed them yet, they look like this - \II/ - like a glorified manifold), I've got glass packs too. How important would it be for me to get full length hedders? Flowmasters too? I'm wondering if I need to be pushing 400 horse to make those purchases worth it. What would I stand to gain from that?

#2 ·
slight revision follows,

would a guy with tennesee waterfall driving a 79 TA that's covered in crappy black tractor paint be sporting glass packs or flowmasters?

Which is louder, glass packs or flowmasters? Never mind performance, I'm not taking this to the strip.

probably going to do the cut'em short with pull string device, so i can make'em open or closed on the fly. The problem is my buddies jeep is louder then my car, if I'm going to be mulleted hero I've got be the loudest. So really full length headers vrs shorty's, much difference between them with only 300 hp?
thanks bobby,

#3 ·
First Bobby..........Get a haircut............. :D

A basically stock engine will probably benefit more torque wise with the shorty headers. Put what mufflers on that you want, just don't drive in my neighborhood.......I think noisy cars sound terrible.

#4 ·
Both flowmasters and glasspacks have different sound levels,

With Glasspacks, shorter is louder! A 40inch glasspack is very quiet, my friend Mel has them on his '49 Chevy, and they are really quiet. Get the shortest possible, or not run them at all!

Flowmasters, sound output depends on the model, the original 40's are the loudest of the group. Im thinking the 70's or 80's Deltaflow are the quietest, but they still have that Flowmster sound.

Fly-by-wire cutouts would be a great idea, have them switched to a quiet Flow' or 'pack, then when you want to REALLY rip it up, switch it to straight-thru. :mwink: :thumbup:

Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.