Hot Rod Forum banner

Flush mount windows

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  powerrodsmike 
#1 ·
hola gentlemen and ladies long time no see

i have another question i have been reading in my hot rod magazines about flush mounting windows

how is this done?

#2 ·
Well, it is done different ways on different cars. But usually the glass is cut a little larger so it gets closer to the body. It is then "glued" down to the pinch weld with a very small "h" shaped rubber moulding over the edge. The rubber moulding lays over just a little bit onto the surrounding body. Go find a 90ish S-10 Chevy pickup, that is the perfect example. It has this "T" shapped moulding that sticks down into the gap between the glass and the body, leaving the little edge of the moulding laying on the outer body.

There are also many cars done without a moulding at all. A perfectly cut glass, set on a "urethane" bed (the glue mentioned earlier) so that the glass comes up to the body about an eigth inch away (or less).

Go find a 2006-7 Honda Odyssy rear hatch glass and see an example of this. But of course there are MANY examples of both these methods on late model cars all over the parking lots. Walk around looking at how windows are set in the back and front of cars these days.

Sometimes mods to the "pinch weld" are needed to bring the glass up to the right height.

Brian

#3 ·
From a contribution I made to the wiki a while back.

======================================

You can install windshield glass in most any car that had a windshield frame or rubber molding using the S-10 filler strip and an adhesive as long as the pinch weld is behind the glass. Some prefer to use urethane or silicone instead of butyl tape due to the irregularities in the flange or pinchweld that backs up the windshield.

The basic procedure is to get your pinchweld all cleaned up and any voids filled. If there were slots or notches for hinges etc they need to be filled. Obviously rust and loose paint needs to be removed. A coat of epoxy primer is a good idea. Have your glass cut so that you have about 1/4 gap between the edge of the glass and the windshield opening. No more than 17/64" and no less than 15/64" gap all around. Always trial fit the filler strip before you do the install to make sure it isn't too tight or loose. Too tight and the glass may crack or pop out during installation and too loose and you will have gaps. .............................
=========================================

there is more

See the rest of this article here:
http://crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Window_removal_and_installation#Installing_flush_mounted_glass

There are a few more threads here about flush windshields, do a bit of searching for s-10 filler, flush glass, flush windshield, there is some good info there.

Hope this helps,
Mikey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.