Flush your lines! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Flush your lines!

Don't know if this has been covered on here before, and I apologize if it has. A search didn't show up anything on it.

I recently (OK a few months ago!) had a rear brake line rust through FROM THE INSIDE! Since brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs moisture from the air, and then allows it to collect, usually at low spots in the line. Brake fluid does not move (much) in the lines. So the water sits there.

I was VERY lucky. I got back from a 250 mile road trip with two big blocks plus an old-style TH400 trans in the back of my 3/4 ton. Parked, went in the house. Next morning, when I went to move the truck the brake pedal went to the floor! Rear line rusted through.

When I changed out the line I found another couple of places that looked good on the outside, but were getting awful thin from the inside out

A periodic flush with clean brake fluid would have kept the moisture at bay. The little bit that you use bleeding brakes may not be enough, so do a 100% system flush.

Bottom line - brake fluid is cheap compared to your ride or your life. Flush out the whole system every couple of years and we'll all live longer!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

I'll have to do some polishing up on my wiki article when I flush out the brakes on my truck.
http://crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/..._Brake_Bleeder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.