flux cored welding wire - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet
I didn't realize it was shielded flux core.

It's not.

Twenty gauge is a gas shielded cored wire but it is not flux core, it has a powdered metal core that is entirely different than gas shielded flux core wires (duel shield). It does not leave a slag over the weld bead and it welds much more like solid wire than duel shield wires.

BTW, those duel shield wires are fantastic stuff and would probably be as good or better than Twenty gauge if they were small enough but .035 is as small as I have found and that is just not quite small enough for body work, like .035 solid it could be made to work but .023 solid works better. My favorite is Hobart ExcellArc 71 which is available from .035 up to 3/32" in size, most of my welding is done with ExcellArc in 1/16". It will bridge a gap better than anything I have ever used and will weld overhead almost as easily as welding flat, something most other duel shield wires will not do. You guys who have a MIG welder big enough to burn .035 or even .045 might want to try some of the ExcellArc for general welding, I think you will really like it! It produce an excellent low hydrogen weld that can be used for welding alloy steels or mild steels, basically anything you would use E7018 for.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
My favorite is Hobart ExcellArc 71 which is available from .035 up to 3/32" in size, most of my welding is done with ExcellArc in 1/16". It will bridge a gap better than anything I have ever used and will weld overhead almost as easily as welding flat, something most other duel shield wires will not do. You guys who have a MIG welder big enough to burn .035 or even .045 might want to try some of the ExcellArc for general welding, I think you will really like it! It produce an excellent low hydrogen weld that can be used for welding alloy steels or mild steels, basically anything you would use E7018 for.
Oldred, Have you used 71 Elite from lincoln? If you have, which do you like better?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahb
Oldred, Have you used 71 Elite from lincoln? If you have, which do you like better?

No I have not used Elite (yet) but from what I hear it is much the same as the ExcellArc and and by all accounts is an excellent wire. I suppose the difficulty of forming these flux containing wires may make anything less than the .035 size impractical but who knows maybe soon?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Well if it is gas shielded what is the advantage over smaller mig wire?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well if it is gas shielded what is the advantage over smaller mig wire?

The advantage is that due to the powder core it actually has less mass than a comparable diameter solid wire and thus takes less current to burn. It is without a doubt the easiest to use of ANY wire I have ever tried for welding body panels, much less likely to burn through than even .023 solid and less problems with warpage also.

Finding that stuff in stock really got my interest and I thought maybe it is back in production but apparently that's not the case, I Googled it and that appears to be the only dealer that has any. I hope I'm wrong about that but if it is back in production I can't find any evidence of it, don't know how much they have on hand but it very well may be the last left anywhere. I grabbed a bunch of it from Ebay (payed dearly for it too! ) some time back and I suppose I will not need anymore but still I would like to see it back in production.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I have some and compared to the 0.23 I normally use the 20 gauge welds like maybe an 0.15 wire..less heat and makes really nice welds in sheet metal..

Sam
Old 10-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Last journal entry: starting to go the right direction
Last photo:

Quote:
I know this is thread necromancy, but I found this link after reading this thread. Don't know if the company is good to deal with or not, but was considering the wire for working on my caddy. I just don't have the money to buy the conversion kit for my lincoln welder right now, and all the related expenses like a tank etc.

http://www.crumptonws.com/default.as...emcode=HW+TGE5
has any one tried to register there that doesn't have a business? You have to have a customer code, and it seems you have to have a business to get one from the looks of things to me.
Thanks,
Russ

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.