flux cored welding wire - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

flux cored welding wire

A few years ago one of the forum members said he had found a flux cored mig wire that was great for body sheet metal. He said it used low heat had very good penetration and left a weld that required very little cleanup. It wasn't the standard wire used in cheap mig machines but a special wire for bodywork. If anyone is familiar with this product please let me know the name and where to purchase. Thanks, Terry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

20 gauge is what it is called and is no longer made as far as I know. Was a great wire but the guys just did not understand what it was..

Sam
Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

welding wire

Terry,

Sam was correct. It was called 20 Gauge & was made by the JW Harris company when I started buying it a few years ago. Then apparently Lincoln bought them out & discontinued the supply. It is a very nice wire for welding sheet metal. Thanks again to Old Red who turned me onto this wire

I think poor marketing along w/the increased costs shot the product down - but for me who is not a pro, this has made welding very easy now.

I would check your welding supply shops/EBay or internet to see if you can still get some. I live in central Illinois & got some from California a year or so ago.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old 03-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

I snagged some from E-Bay a while back, a 10 lb roll but it cost me dearly! I don't know what is wrong with those idiots at Lincoln just sitting there on a product like that!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

20 guage weld ing wire

Terry,

I didn't have this info earlier since I was @ work , but the Twenty Gauge wire is actually an 0.030 size. What I like about it besides the excellent welding capabilities is that I can go back & forth w/my 0.035 regular wire for welding thicker plates w/o changing my gun liner & tips. So this is an added convenience

You will run lower settings when welding which helps reduce the burn through that you would get w/solid core wire.

Part numbers are TGE2 for a 2 lb spool ; TGE5 for a10 lb spool & TGE3SP for a 33 lb spool. I went ahead & got a 33 pounder last time as I knew they probably would not make this wire again.

I would search posts done by Old Red as he has some excellent comments about using this wire.

Good Luck,
Mike.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

moving this thread to tools section

Budget RVs
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

so what is some good wire to use now i just use some 22.50 a roll stuff from my welding shop i cant think of the name right now starts with a F its ok
Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Some time back when .020 20 gauge wire was discussed, I found the brand 20 Gauge wire offered at the local welding shop. I went to get some of the .020 gauge, but they only had .030. When they looked in their computer, 20 Gauge did not offer the .020 wire any more. They made a weak search to see if any dealers had any in stock, but no luck.

Trees
Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Some time back when .020 20 gauge wire was discussed, I found the brand 20 Gauge wire offered at the local welding shop. I went to get some of the .020 gauge, but they only had .030. When they looked in their computer, 20 Gauge did not offer the .020 wire any more. They made a weak search to see if any dealers had any in stock, but no luck.Trees

And THAT is the very mis-understanding that killed Twenty gauge, not picking on you because it's their fault since that's what almost everyone else thought also and why wouldn't they? "Twenty gauge" did not refer to the wire size and has NEVER been offered in anything except .030 and it was that damn name that caused so much confusion. When it first came out and the salesman brought some by my shop for me to try even he had it all wrong and even went so far as to tell me they even planed to offer it .015 which turned out to be total BS! "Twenty Gauge" (actually even "20" gauge turns out to be incorrect) DOES NOT refer to the size of the wire and in fact actually refers to the small shotgun pictured on the box because of the tiny "shot" contained inside the tubular wire, that is what they told me when I complained about discontinuing it and mentioned the name so why didn't they make that plain from the beginning?

Again I am not in any way picking on you for your post but rather the idiots that chose that stupid name that caused so much confusion and IMHO caused the market failure of this product. They not only caused confusion with the name but failed to educate their dealers, most places I checked with were thinking "Twenty Gauge" referred to the size and most even had it stored with the small gas-less flux core wire.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Yup..A classic failure of marketing and communication in the production of that wire..Still a good concept and just maybe it could be brought back under another label and be successful..

Sam
Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

The problem was people would go into the store expecting to find a .020 wire and when they discovered it was actually .030 they would then just buy .023 solid instead thinking that .030 was too big! The fact is the .030 cored wire was more equivalent in size to .020 or even smaller due to it's cored construction being of less mass than solid wire. This less mass along with the spraying characteristics of the tiny internal "pellets" made this an absolutely phenomenal wire for welding thin sheetmetal. Well I guess it's a moot point now unless someone at Lincoln gets off their duff and realizes what they have and why it didn't sell but I wouldn't want to bet on it happening.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

I know this is thread necromancy, but I found this link after reading this thread. Don't know if the company is good to deal with or not, but was considering the wire for working on my caddy. I just don't have the money to buy the conversion kit for my lincoln welder right now, and all the related expenses like a tank etc.

http://www.crumptonws.com/default.as...emcode=HW+TGE5
Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Seems to me that is the code for the 20 gauge wire discussed in this thread if I recall correctly, however if it is you will still need the tank and conversion kit to run gas with it..Better call and check as that is about 60.00 for that spool of wire..

Sam
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

Not sure what's going on here but I just checked that link and they actually have that stuff in stock! It's probably old stock and if so then it may be the last of what's still out there, but then maybe not and who knows maybe somebody got smart!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Seems to me that is the code for the 20 gauge wire discussed in this thread if I recall correctly, however if it is you will still need the tank and conversion kit to run gas with it..Better call and check as that is about 60.00 for that spool of wire..

Sam
I didn't realize it was shielded flux core. I have been using that stuff in class, much bigger wire though(.045). I really like it, I can do a better job with it than I can with mig right now. Yeah I know it would be a 60 odd dollar spool plus shipping.

They only have the 10 pound spools near as I can tell. I searched for the parts numbers of the 2 and 33 pound spools on their site and got nothing.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.