Flywheel Balancing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Flywheel Balancing

I have a 69 327 that is balanced and blueprinted. When I bought the motor I was given the flywheel and was told it was balanced to the motor. Does this make sense? I cannot use this flywheel because I am using a non chevy trans. The trans comes with its own flywheel machined to fit the 327 crank. Do I need to balance this flywheel? Should I take both flywheels to the machine shop and balance them the same?? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalow
I have a 69 327 that is balanced and blueprinted. When I bought the motor I was given the flywheel and was told it was balanced to the motor. Does this make sense? I cannot use this flywheel because I am using a non chevy trans. The trans comes with its own flywheel machined to fit the 327 crank. Do I need to balance this flywheel? Should I take both flywheels to the machine shop and balance them the same?? Thanks!
The flywheel should be zero balanced and the rotating assembly balanced to itself. That doesn't mean the shop did like that, they could have made your 327 into an externally balanced engine, but I doubt they did that.

An easy test is to have the flywheel checked to see if it's zeroed. Also of mention is that sometimes shops balance the flywheel and clutch as an assembly, so here's another permutation to ponder.

Bogie
Old 04-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

"Permutation" I love it!!! I will use this. Always %$#^Permutations!!
I will check to see if it is hopefully Zero balanced. Should I have the new clutch and flywheel balanced together?? The motor is a 7000RPM motor that will see 6800RPM reg.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:45 PM

if it was mine i'd balance both and index the PP to the flywheel (i have done it with stamp marks
Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=bigalow]"Permutation" I love it!!! I will use this. Always %$#^Permutations!!
I will check to see if it is hopefully Zero balanced. Should I have the new clutch and flywheel balanced together?? The motor is a 7000RPM motor that will see 6800RPM reg.[/QUOTE

I get those words from my wife, she's a proper and well educated Boston woman; I'm southern California desert rat. I spend a lot of time with a dictionary as she has all sorts of fancy ways to call me a butt-head.

Yes, if you have both get them both balanced, but be careful as you want each zero balanced, if their done as a set, then when you have to replace one or the other the balance will be upset without doing both together again. The friction disk is usually not included in the balancing, but talk with your shop guy as different people have their preferences. As mentioned these should have index marks put on by the shop so they are aligned on assembly the way they were on the balancer.

What about the front damper? The revs you want to visit are gettin' toward "one step over the line" for a stock production style damper.

Bogie
Old 04-19-2008, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

.[QUOTE=oldbogie][Bogie[/QUOWhat about the front damperTE]
Good point and who makes a reasonably priced Dampener? I still need to purchase this. Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Twin Turbo Drag Boat

Last journal entry: Random In Progress Shots

If they did not drill on the flywheel when they balanced the engine then it was just on there when they did the balancing. If it is an undrilled neutral balance flyweel then just get another neutral balance flywheel.

Drilling the flywheel is not typical but sometimes done.

If for instance the crank needed drilled where there was no place to drill then the customer might have opted to drill the flywheel instead of add metal to the crank.

But... a good machine shop can balance a different flyweel to match the one you have. We do it when we have to.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

As Infomaniac has said, you can have the flywheels matched up balance-wise.

When we do balance jobs, we always make sure the flywheels and balancers are at the proper values. If they are for an externally balanced engine, we make sure they are at the proper imbalance value. If they are for an internally balanced engine, we zero-balance them. Then any balancing done to the assembly is done to the crankshaft. This way, any replacement of the flywheel or balancer is done with checked and corrected pieces, maintaining the crankshaft balance.

tom
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

I got a Pioneer balacer from Summit for my 396. It sees at least 7k everytime it is run and sometimes 8k. The balancer is a nice piece for the money.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

As said above.....but just make sure it's got a true SFI rating.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.