flywheel weight - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

flywheel weight

im trying to decide on what flywheel to buy for my truck and i just dont know what the right balance will be. i want to get as much performance as possible but i dont want to make it too difficult to drive. its a extra cab short bed 95 chevy pickup truck, it has about a 500 or so hp small block chevy with a supercharger, its a low reving grunty motor. iv got 35" tires and 4.56 gears. ill be using a 12" centerforce dual friction clutch. i know an aluminum flywheel will be just too light, but what about a light wieght billet steel unit, they weight about 22 pounds, stock is upwards of 30 pounds i believe? im just not sure what the proper balance of drieveability and performance is here, would a 22lb flywheel be a little too light?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Use a heavy flywheel.
Keeps momentum going at the engine when taking off just off idle.

The lighter the flywheel---quicker the RPMs come up and the less enrgy stored.
Heavier flywheel will store more energy but are slower to rev up.

The flywheel in my 79 C-10 with a 454-----about 36#
This truck just does not stall even when lugging a heavy trailer in the higher gears.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
Use a heavy flywheel.
Keeps momentum going at the engine when taking off just off idle.

The lighter the flywheel---quicker the RPMs come up and the less enrgy stored.
Heavier flywheel will store more energy but are slower to rev up.

The flywheel in my 79 C-10 with a 454-----about 36#
This truck just does not stall even when lugging a heavy trailer in the higher gears.
it will still rev out quicker then the big heavy torque converter and automatic that it used to have even with a heavy flywheel. ill look for one in the 30lb range. you think 26# would be too light? it is considered a lightweight flywheel...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

26lbs is about the heaviest i can find without spending 250 bucks on a flywheel, what do you guys think, still to light? i mean, yea its considered a lightweight flywheel, but its still a steel 168tooth flywheel for a 12" clutch, its not like its an 11lb aluminum flywheel.

i dont know much about it, i want to get some opinions here, if you guys think its too light, ill have to spend more money on a heavier flywheel, but id like some feedback before i make any decisions. i got my clutch today, transmissions here. got the third pedal and master cylinder mounted up, all im really waiting on is the flywheel and some wiring. man that nv4500 has a long throw, i hope ill be able to make the truck get down with it lol. iv been thinking about making my own short throw setup.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

The dual disc clutch will add some weight, I would think the regular steel fly wheel with dual disc setup would work fine
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1500z71
. . . man that nv4500 has a long throw, i hope ill be able to make the truck get down with it lol. iv been thinking about making my own short throw setup.
If your shifter has the same setup as my SM-465 you can remove the insert and re-drill it to lower it about a quarter inch then add that same thickness between the shifter and tower where it bolts on. That will shorten your throws with the least amount of fabrication. My 465 has MUCH longer throws than the Eaton RT-10 10 speed that was in my 2007 Freightliner.

You could also make a new insert for the shifter out of cold rolled steel if you feel frisky, I've considered that but one major thing holding me back, it wouldn't work with the cover on my 465, too many major parts incorporated into it to modify any single thing.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

well i just weighed the stock flywheel that came with the trans, and my fishing scale shows it at about 26 or 27 lbs, and when i stand on the scale with it in my hands vs without, it comes up at about 29lbs, so ill call it aorund 29lbs. i think a 26lb flywheel will work fine, im not sure why its considered a lightwieght unit at a mere couple pounds less then stock tho.

heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMALL...item414bfdae6c

i had to send him a message to get the details. its made by rpm maxx, its 14.12 inches and it weights 26lbs. pretty good price i think.

iv got a flywheel off of a 95 big block chevy(the one i weighed), my motor is a early model small block so i dont think it will work, unless the big blacks were internally balanced longer then the small blocks? anybody know if this flywheel will work for me? the part number on it is 14091599n and its got gm6 on it too. im about to go look and see if its weighted or neutral balance.

EDIT: im about to just call the parts store and see how much a stock unit will run me. is a stock type flywheel of any lesser quality then a billet steel one?

Last edited by chevy1500z71; 01-07-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
More for Less Racer

The '95 BBC flywheel won't work for you, it is balanced a lot different. All 454's and 502's are external balanced, only the 366, 396/402, and 427 are internal balanced.

A factory flywheel is just plain cast iron, some a better nodular iron, but none are good billet steel pieces unless you go to an aftermarket like you have listed.

As long as you don't intend to rev it hard (7000 rpm +) a standard stock flywheel would suit you just fine, I've found them in the $60 range from Rock Auto or CarPart.com, and in several Ebay stores.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
More for Less Racer

You will also need to match the style of crank you have, whether it is 1-piece rear main seal or 2-piece.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
The '95 BBC flywheel won't work for you, it is balanced a lot different. All 454's and 502's are external balanced, only the 366, 396/402, and 427 are internal balanced.

A factory flywheel is just plain cast iron, some a better nodular iron, but none are good billet steel pieces unless you go to an aftermarket like you have listed.

As long as you don't intend to rev it hard (7000 rpm +) a standard stock flywheel would suit you just fine, I've found them in the $60 range from Rock Auto or CarPart.com, and in several Ebay stores.
well i only paln on spinning it to 5500 rpms, but i would prefer not to have a flywheel of inferior quality, how are they as far as reliability goes compared to a billet steel unit.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM
More for Less Racer

The cast iron factory flywheel will absorb and dissipate clutch heat better, the only down side to factory iron is it isn't SFI certifiable to not explode at extreme rpm like the billet steel unit is. The steel billet is intended for the high rpm of racing use. The iron flywheel will wear better than the steel one, if this isn't a high rpm drag or circle track application the factory flywheel will serve just fine.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The cast iron factory flywheel will absorb and dissipate clutch heat better, the only down side to factory iron is it isn't SFI certifiable to not explode at extreme rpm like the billet steel unit is. The steel billet is intended for the high rpm of racing use. The iron flywheel will wear better than the steel one, if this isn't a high rpm drag or circle track application the factory flywheel will serve just fine.
ok, so a factory unit will suit me well then. so iv been looking at it wrong, im not really giving up performance with a heavy flywheel, light flywheels just really arent for daily drivers, even if it is a high performance setup like mine. ill hit the parts stored tomorrow and try to find one thats made in America. i could actually get the trans in soon now, all im waiting on is the flywheel, iv been concerned with choosing the right one for weeks now.

5500 rpms wont be too high at all i wounldnt think, but if i wanted to spin the motor a little past 6k, would i be pushing it?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1500z71
ok, so a factory unit will suit me well then. so iv been looking at it wrong, im not really giving up performance with a heavy flywheel, light flywheels just really arent for daily drivers, even if it is a high performance setup like mine. ill hit the parts stored tomorrow and try to find one thats made in America. i could actually get the trans in soon now, all im waiting on is the flywheel, iv been concerned with choosing the right one for weeks now.

5500 rpms wont be too high at all i wounldnt think, but if i wanted to spin the motor a little past 6k, would i be pushing it?
Not at all, I wouldn't worry about it until you started hitting 7200+ rpm on a regular basis, even Chevy's best rpm engines(the DZ302) only got nodular iron flywheels from the factory.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Not at all, I wouldn't worry about it until you started hitting 7200+ rpm on a regular basis, even Chevy's best rpm engines(the DZ302) only got nodular iron flywheels from the factory.
ok cool. i was just concerned that the billet steel was a longer lasting higher quality part, but i guess its just for racing purposes really. thanks alot for the input.

off to the parts store for a flywheel now lol
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

holy crap, does anybody sell a flywheel thats not Chinese!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.