Fmx - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2003, 07:21 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Farna.... The aluminum models were definately lighter. I used to take them out by hand. I did drop them once in a while, when I was trying to avoid the hot fluid coming out of the convertor. Ford used a 2 speed for years before they started with the C-4. As I recall the 2 speed was expensive to rebuild. We used to put a penny(those copper things that we have laying around) in somewhere on the valve body. It's been so long that I can't remember anymore what that was for. The FMX/Cruiso's came in many times because they had lost pressure from the alum. tubes coming loose. Of course by the time they got to us, they were toast. Don't remember replacing many hard parts in them though. I never liked the alum valve bodies being bolted to the cast iron case. Guess that is why they had tubes in there. I used to take a punch to enlarge the tubes and make them fit tighter. As I recall there were supposed to be straps to hold them in place. Sometimes they were missing.

OH well. It would be more fun to remember the old days, if they weren't so long ago and I could remember them better.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2003, 01:50 AM

so as long as the vacume modulator is hooked up it should be right i rang a few auto trannie places up in perth and the said idont need the kick down rod . the told me the major problem with them is no one makes high pro parts for them and there is only one type of shift kit for them can you tell me were thw modle numer is written on it i know it came out of a XBGT .

I had a VJ valiant ute with a 265 hemi bored 30 tho E38 cam and a 500 holly on it and tha only had a borg warner 35 behind it and i never had any troble with it i dont kno if our AUSTRALIAN gear is the same as yours thow
Old 07-26-2003, 05:22 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

-FMX Upgrade (With Source of Additional Info)-

-Source of Service Parts-

-Shift Kits And Service Upgrades-

-FX/CM/FMX Basic ID And Service Parts-

-Torque Convertor Rebuild-

-Cast Iron Case ID-
Old 07-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

Nice post KULTULZ,I know here there are a few shift kits available. You can run without the kickdown but when you kick the gas to pass the trans won't downshift right away (that's the purpose of the rod) and you may have to manually downshift to get the quick passing acceleration.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Technology Description Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna

Older FMX transmissions use a TV cable just like the AOD does. The lighter duty aluminum body ones and even cast iron case ones. Later models (don't know exactly when the change occured, but sometime around 66) use the vacuum modulator for pressure control. You'll have one or the other.
While Carousing With My Browser early this morning, I came across this post. Please let me clarify the discussion here for whomever may use this information for future reference;

The FMX (FORD-MERC-DUAL RANGE) transmission was a culmination of older CRUISE-O-MATIC (MERC-O-MATIC-MX/TWIN TURBO-LX) technology and was an improved design introduced in the 1968 model year. It employed a kickdown rod and modulator valve.

The FORD-O-MATIC (single range) was redesigned in 1958 becoming the dual range CRUISE-O-MATIC (dual range). Both designs used Throttle Valve Linkage (not cable but same method). In 1961, FORD gain updated design with the introduction of the modulator valve and the TV linkage was discontinued.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-14-2006 at 12:09 AM. Reason: My Spelling Sucks
Old 10-10-2006, 07:20 PM

ya dont try to run an FMX with out a kickdown rod mine made it all of about 300miles and towards the end it was blowing oil out do to high pressue i asume and almost caught the car on fire going down the high way so if i were you i wouldnt do it unless you got a manual drive body good luck
JOHN

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.