Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Interior (
-   -   Foam foam and more foam (

Halloweenking 04-23-2002 09:53 PM

Foam foam and more foam
Its wonderful stuff in all shapes sizes densities and colors isn't it? well I found some stuff that I kick myself for not realizing its use earlier. Its called rubber foam, I first found it in a hobby shop, its really good stuff, its soft like foam, its water resistant and it holds its shape, its good for viabration, I like it its all around good stuff, i'm going to be using it for my entire interior, feels like suede, half tempted to not cover it. I've done interiors before many times with professional foam, I like it too, but this stuff is waaaaay cheeper. I bought a roll 4'x16' for $32. If you know what I'm talking about, let me know where you can get more. The hobbyshop I got this from closed.

4 Jaw Chuck 04-23-2002 10:44 PM

Hey HK, I know what you are talking about. They call it infinite density closed cell rubber foam, kind of the same stuff they make cheap handle bar grips out of. I have been looking for this stuff by the foot for years, every time I phone a foam supplier they just tell me they don't make the stuff by the foot? Phooey on that, now I know someone who has actually seen it.

I have a 20 degree lay back nascar style aluminum seat that I would like to custom fit to myself and I would like to make inserts out of this foam, the seat has snaps rivets on it that I could use to hold the inserts on with. If anyone knows of a foam supplier that sells it by the foot I would be extremely interested in getting some. Ideally I would like to get 1" thick stuff so I wouldn't have to layer it, but I am not fussy.

Has anyone heard of a supplier on the web or elsewhere?

vintage 04-24-2002 03:24 AM

i believe the foam u guys r talkin' about is called"ensolite" that,i'm sure you will find many suppliers on the net!!!

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: vintage ]</p>

Halloweenking 04-24-2002 04:25 AM

Hear that Chuck, we are not forsaken to use a substitute foam, we have been saaaaaaved by the graciousness of someone in wich his provent is Vintage! First one to find it is...well...the first one to find it. Thanks Vintage

(I'm in the comedic mood, you'll understand if you meet me, its rare, but it happens)

Halloweenking 04-24-2002 05:09 AM

I found a few sites that had it, found one that was selling it by trukloads .30 per roll, but you had to buy 10,000-12,000 rolls :eek: I scurried on about to another site, I got a sample board getting sent to me with all the foams they got, Oh joy! more foam to play with.Those same guys also sell hard rubber sheets I'm thinking door panels!!! closed density foam from 2.5 lbs per square foot to 55lbs per quare foot, center consols and doorpanels and dashboards OH MY! Havn't found anywhere that sells it retail, like a small interior shop or anything, just the big time guys that sell 150' rolls but I'm stepping lively, I'll let you know if I find anything.

1970CDV 04-24-2002 09:26 AM

wow i think this might be just the stuff i need for my interior. too bad we dont all live closer to eachother we could split the cost of a truck load. well if anyone can find it retail im sure alot of people would apreciate it. thanx guys!

4 Jaw Chuck 04-24-2002 01:16 PM

Found one site that says it does special orders,
I am e-mailing to ask about small lot availability, let you know what I find out. They sell any kind of foam-OOOOHHHH Baby!!! The PDF files are extensive detailing the properties of the different foams, Thanks again Vintage- I owe you a beer or two or three or four....

Halloweenking 05-13-2002 10:26 PM

Hey all you foam heads out there, I foud a great place to find that much saut after foam, Monmouth rubber and plastics they have everything you need for interiors, foam in all kind of densities and laminated with fabric or coverd in adhesive for easy aplication, a whoooooole multitude of stuff to buy and use and just lay with.

A bit like catknip this stuff is, I get around it and just go sane (yes sane), just want to play with it all day.

dinger 05-13-2002 10:47 PM

you guys have my curiousity going on this foam thing. what is it used for? i run into all types of foam padding in the packing sheds where i inspect, (usda) tear off sheets of a stiff white foam, springy, teated foam sheets, etc? am i close? if so, i'm stocking up, i can get free or next to free, they buy in such large quantities, and usually throw away the last 20-30 ft. of the roll.

Halloweenking 05-13-2002 11:40 PM

Ooooo dinger, I'm envious stock up man stock up! The foam we are talking about is rubber foam its usually only seen in hobby shops for gas engine viabration on model planes and such, it a bit like the nurf footballs and balls perod just a more dense version. that place I found is great it has it from butter soft to cramp your fingers firm, great for creating and intire interior, and it can even be fabric coverd before you even get it. I'm not sure what your talking about but would like to hear a bit more.

I wouldn't mind a big juicy peach the size of my head either but I'll settle for the foam ;) :cool:

blown69stang 05-26-2002 08:45 PM

Isn't this the same type of foam that is used for replacement foam kits for Mustang and other cars interiors? It is injection molded in this case but can be in sheet form. It is smooth on the surface and has great shape retention and seems like its density gets greater the more it is compressed. When you blow steam on it, it gets soft and the shape can be molded to be rounded out or stuffed in corners of pre-stitched upholstery. If this sound anything like it tell me.

Halloweenking 05-28-2002 03:10 PM

Could be, not sure, the 68 fastback interior I buillt didn't have rubber foam in the kit, but it could have changed since then. Never tried the steam thing but I don't think so. The foam your talking about I don't think is EDPM,I think your talking about a vinyl nitrile blend or just regular closed cell ejection molded foam, could be wrong but doubt it. Let me why and I can probably find out for you. Feel free to send me a message or e-mail


sedan_dad 06-05-2002 01:50 AM

I went to an apolstry shop and found 1/4 closed cell foam(used in vinyl top padding )for 5 bucks a yard.How would this work as a simple padding on a flat surface.I would later cover with vinyl.

Halloweenking 06-12-2002 10:41 PM

It would be fine, make sure if your going to use it outdoors it is for outdoor use so you don't make the mistake of waking up in the morning after a good rain and finding your car pregnant with 50lbs of water. you can use closed cell foam for about any use, you just have to shape it right if your going to get creative.


68stang_99 07-31-2002 10:47 AM

Hey Ya'll! I found a website that has just what you are looking for. It is They sell foams kits that are adhesive and sandable to get just the design you are looking for. If you have any problems with the website let me know.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.