Hot Rod Forum banner

Foam foam and more foam

7K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  D M N 
#1 ·
Its wonderful stuff in all shapes sizes densities and colors isn't it? well I found some stuff that I kick myself for not realizing its use earlier. Its called rubber foam, I first found it in a hobby shop, its really good stuff, its soft like foam, its water resistant and it holds its shape, its good for viabration, I like it its all around good stuff, i'm going to be using it for my entire interior, feels like suede, half tempted to not cover it. I've done interiors before many times with professional foam, I like it too, but this stuff is waaaaay cheeper. I bought a roll 4'x16' for $32. If you know what I'm talking about, let me know where you can get more. The hobbyshop I got this from closed.

#2 ·
Hey HK, I know what you are talking about. They call it infinite density closed cell rubber foam, kind of the same stuff they make cheap handle bar grips out of. I have been looking for this stuff by the foot for years, every time I phone a foam supplier they just tell me they don't make the stuff by the foot? Phooey on that, now I know someone who has actually seen it.

I have a 20 degree lay back nascar style aluminum seat that I would like to custom fit to myself and I would like to make inserts out of this foam, the seat has snaps rivets on it that I could use to hold the inserts on with. If anyone knows of a foam supplier that sells it by the foot I would be extremely interested in getting some. Ideally I would like to get 1" thick stuff so I wouldn't have to layer it, but I am not fussy.

Has anyone heard of a supplier on the web or elsewhere?

#4 ·
Hear that Chuck, we are not forsaken to use a substitute foam, we have been saaaaaaved by the graciousness of someone in wich his provent is Vintage! First one to find it is...well...the first one to find it. Thanks Vintage

(I'm in the comedic mood, you'll understand if you meet me, its rare, but it happens)

#5 ·
I found a few sites that had it, found one that was selling it by trukloads .30 per roll, but you had to buy 10,000-12,000 rolls :eek: I scurried on about to another site, I got a sample board getting sent to me with all the foams they got, Oh joy! more foam to play with.Those same guys also sell hard rubber sheets I'm thinking door panels!!! closed density foam from 2.5 lbs per square foot to 55lbs per quare foot, center consols and doorpanels and dashboards OH MY! Havn't found anywhere that sells it retail, like a small interior shop or anything, just the big time guys that sell 150' rolls but I'm stepping lively, I'll let you know if I find anything.

#7 ·
Found one site that says it does special orders,
http://www.irfoam.com/CCpage.htm
I am e-mailing to ask about small lot availability, let you know what I find out. They sell any kind of foam-OOOOHHHH Baby!!! The PDF files are extensive detailing the properties of the different foams, Thanks again Vintage- I owe you a beer or two or three or four....

#8 ·
Hey all you foam heads out there, I foud a great place to find that much saut after foam, Monmouth rubber and plastics www.rubberplastics.com they have everything you need for interiors, foam in all kind of densities and laminated with fabric or coverd in adhesive for easy aplication, a whoooooole multitude of stuff to buy and use and just lay with.

A bit like catknip this stuff is, I get around it and just go sane (yes sane), just want to play with it all day.

#9 ·
you guys have my curiousity going on this foam thing. what is it used for? i run into all types of foam padding in the packing sheds where i inspect, (usda) tear off sheets of a stiff white foam, springy, teated foam sheets, etc? am i close? if so, i'm stocking up, i can get free or next to free, they buy in such large quantities, and usually throw away the last 20-30 ft. of the roll.

#10 ·
Ooooo dinger, I'm envious stock up man stock up! The foam we are talking about is rubber foam its usually only seen in hobby shops for gas engine viabration on model planes and such, it a bit like the nurf footballs and balls perod just a more dense version. that place I found is great it has it from butter soft to cramp your fingers firm, great for creating and intire interior, and it can even be fabric coverd before you even get it. I'm not sure what your talking about but would like to hear a bit more.

I wouldn't mind a big juicy peach the size of my head either but I'll settle for the foam ;) :cool:

#11 ·
Isn't this the same type of foam that is used for replacement foam kits for Mustang and other cars interiors? It is injection molded in this case but can be in sheet form. It is smooth on the surface and has great shape retention and seems like its density gets greater the more it is compressed. When you blow steam on it, it gets soft and the shape can be molded to be rounded out or stuffed in corners of pre-stitched upholstery. If this sound anything like it tell me.

#12 ·
Could be, not sure, the 68 fastback interior I buillt didn't have rubber foam in the kit, but it could have changed since then. Never tried the steam thing but I don't think so. The foam your talking about I don't think is EDPM,I think your talking about a vinyl nitrile blend or just regular closed cell ejection molded foam, could be wrong but doubt it. Let me why and I can probably find out for you. Feel free to send me a message or e-mail

Faust

#14 ·
It would be fine, make sure if your going to use it outdoors it is for outdoor use so you don't make the mistake of waking up in the morning after a good rain and finding your car pregnant with 50lbs of water. you can use closed cell foam for about any use, you just have to shape it right if your going to get creative.

Faust

#19 ·
Hey Mar, I've checked there way back when this thread started and they are the same as all other places, either they didn't have it or to exspensive.

you can buy this stuff in bulk for real cheap ($.70per yrd) in any density, but you have to buy a truckload. What we are looking for is a cheap roll (50yrd or less), but no one sells it in rolls without costing and arm and a leg.

HK

#20 ·
Help!!!!

Hey guys i just stumbled on this board while searching for a foam called linear(?) Anyone ever head of it? know where to get it?
It's closed cell and has three layers A blue layer between 2 black/grey layers. Is flat about 3/4 inch thick. If anyone know where to get this foam and could tell me i'd really appreciate it.

Im in a medieval combat group that makes foam weapon out of this stuff and PCV pipe but we used to dumpster dive for it and now it's not there anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.