Foggy Hazed Headlight covers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 05:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Foggy Hazed Headlight covers

My daughter has a 1999 Pontiac Grand AM and the headlight covers has a haze/foggy appearance in it. I got a number for the Pontiac Motor Division to register a complaint based on the fact that they made a poor material selection for the covers. I believe that the ultra-violet sun rays breaks down the resin in the plastic material and causes the cover to haze over. Of course, my concerns were blown off because they said that they haven't had any complaints about this before and suggested that the covers are dirty on the outside and inside and cleaning it should take care of the problem.

I've tried two times to get some satisfaction but got the brush off.
Am I far off base here or what? Have anyone else heard or seen a situation like I've described?

How can I take this complaint up the chain (make noise to the right agency/person) to get this thing fixed at the manufacturer's expense?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Re: Foggy Hazed Headlight covers

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffrun2
My daughter has a 1999 Pontiac Grand AM and the headlight covers has a haze/foggy appearance in it. I got a number for the Pontiac Motor Division to register a complaint based on the fact that they made a poor material selection for the covers. I believe that the ultra-violet sun rays breaks down the resin in the plastic material and causes the cover to haze over. Of course, my concerns were blown off because they said that they haven't had any complaints about this before and suggested that the covers are dirty on the outside and inside and cleaning it should take care of the problem.

I've tried two times to get some satisfaction but got the brush off.
Am I far off base here or what? Have anyone else heard or seen a situation like I've described?

How can I take this complaint up the chain (make noise to the right agency/person) to get this thing fixed at the manufacturer's expense?
most lenses end up foggy in a couple years, have you tried rubbing or polishing compound?

i know you are dissapointed with the service, but there probably isn't alot you can do, if they don't want to fix it they won't, especially if they can say that it's somehow your fault, even if it involves asteroids passing the earth at a certain time while the car was in operation, and your tounge was being held a certain way....
Old 02-17-2004, 07:06 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you can get GM to pay for those lights based on that idea, I'll have to try to get them to pay for the many cars that I have had that rusted out. Maybe I can get them to pay for my windshield that has a rock chip. The discoloring is not only caused by the light, it is also caused by cleaning them, along with the abuse they get when driving, from road spray. Your best bet is to try cleaning them with some very fine polishing compound.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Last photo:

No amount of rubbing is going to help those lenses. It is caused by a bad fomulation of materials of construction. The haze, fog, or yellowing is all the way through the lens, not just on the surface.

Vince
Old 02-17-2004, 07:33 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Vince is on it,, I've replaced some with aftermarket replicas Tiwan Made that seem to hold up better, sometimes you get more than you pay for
Old 02-17-2004, 09:03 PM

I agree that the lenses are toast because the problem is not on the surface. However, my point is why does the consumer has to bear the burden for defective materials used in auto manufacturing? It seems to be most predominant in the newer American made cars and after the sale its your problem.

You can't associate this problem in the same category as auto rusting or rock chips in a windshield. To do so is like comparing apples to wheel bearings.

I can't believe that this issue is as remote as it seems and hasn't been addressed by some public safety agency/group.

I'm not sure, but I would think that the haze/fog on the lens would have a diffusing effect on the headlight intensity, making it a safety issue and possibly a recall item.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:35 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quite often the haze/fog is on the outside of the lense. This will often buff off. If it is yellowed, it is thru the lense and usually buffing will not help at all. If you rub your hand across the lense, you will usually findd that they are rough, not smoothe as they were when they were new. I have seen many of them on older, low mileage cars that looked almost like new, even though the car is parked outside. This problem does effect the light coming from them. In Virginia, the can fail inspection for that problem if it is extreme.

I would try buffing them, then replace them if they don't improve from the buffing. I would replace them with aftermarket ones tho, not something from GM. The price is 1/2 as much and they would most likely last until you are ready to get rid of that car.

The comment about the rock chip might have been extreme, but the rust was not. Basically it is a wear and tear type of problem. They manufacture, like every other manufacturer, a product that they know will only last a short time. They would never sell new ones if they made them to last. They are only interested in making the original purchaser happy for a short time. They know that the average new car buyer only keeps the vehicle for a certain amount of time. They have no interest in the person that buys the used car. GM, FORD, and CHRY don't sell used cars. They sell new cars and parts. If they can't sell the used car buyer a car, they'll sell them the parts to keep the used car on the road.

Next time you are driving down the road at night, look at all of the cars around you. Notice that the older foreign cars have bright lights when the older US cars don't. Very seldom do I see foreign cars with headlights that are in the shape of the US ones. They must be all new!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:50 PM

Good point. Sounds like you put some thought into the matter that makes sense. I think I am a little disgusted with dealing with PMD and was venting a bit.

I will ask my daughter to seriously consider getting rid of the GM product and invest in an import (Asian made) car.

Thanks for all the thought provoking inputs.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Headlight lens polishing kit.

Seems to work, never tried it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.