Ford 170 and 200 6 cyl - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 170 and 200 6 cyl

I am building a 200ci I6 and i need some parts that are hard to come by like timing chain covers and things of that nature.

Are the 170 and 200 parts like timing chain cover and distributor interchangable? i found a 170ci for sale real cheap. i dont need a crank and i know the 170 has four mains and 200 and 7 mains anyway. Just wondering about everything else basically.

Such as:
Head
Timing chain cover
Oil pan
flywheel
distributor

Those are the major ones.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

timing chain cover is all that will fit, possibly the flywheel.. the head will physically fit but there are issues with running a 170 head on a 200... other than that, nothing will fit.

if you want a parts engine, look for a 1978-1983 200 6cyl engine.. it'll have all the parts you need.. and a really good flowing cylinder head, compared to a '60's head.. a '80- up EO-XX casting head is the best.... due to the chamber size being 10cc bigger, you will need to run 2.3 HSC pistions ( flat top ) to keep the compression up... also, you should machine the head .025 to compensate for the no longer available .025 compressed shim gaskets.. thinnest gasket available now is .045 compressed.. you will need .025 thick hardened washers under the head bolts, but there available

Last edited by matt167; 11-01-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.