Ford 2.3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2003, 03:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Ford 2.3

Anyone dirt track race? I hear they love the little 2.3 fords...

Anyways, i was wondering, what do you think about building it up. Its a 1974 and i hear that the blocks back then for the 2.3 were really strong due to high nickel content...anyways, i was planing on building it up to give all these little ricers a run for their money.

Ive got about, 500 dollars in my pocket today, and will have about 500 a month, plan on about 1500 or so going into the engine.

I was looking at getting a t3 turbo, intercooled etc, rebuilding the whole engine, hotter cam etc. What do you guys think? Turbo...or just high compression...what compression should i shoot for turbo/non turbo? I was told that them dirt track 2.3's do 150 on the straight streches..anyways, tell me what you think, just shoot...constructive comments please =)

Fairlane

p.s. i looked into getting a 302 or a 289...but i would rather keep her stock engine..and i dont have to worry about smog stuff like you cali peeps...i live in wyoming.

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: 59Fairlane ]

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: 59Fairlane ]

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: 59Fairlane ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2003, 06:10 PM

please?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

For roundy round racing in the mini stock or mini mod (4cyl) class, most of the guys around here run the 2.0 in a Pinto or 79-84 Mustang. The 2.3 is OHC, the 2.0 is a OHV. Some run the 2.3, but not many. They don't seem to do as well as the 2.0. (they also give you a weight break for the smaller engine)
Old 01-29-2003, 07:14 PM

well, this is going in a mustangII...well, pinto reall i guess...so, which is gonna do better on street? I was just told that 2.3 is really fast with the mods that dirt track racers use...and since i never have to do smog tests, i can run what i want...

you happen to know what the guys that run 2.3's do to them?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

The 2.3 turbo that originally came in the svo mustang, xr4ti, tbird/cougar is the high nickel Brazilian built eng. Its a slightly different block because of the drilling for the oil passages to cool the turbo (head different also). The design engineers told me (at ford school) if your going to build up a high performance eng to use the turbo block. Ford has built some of these engines, at their experimental garage in Dearborn, at 600HP, using the big BMW turbo, and they still hold together. Of course you can still build a standard 2.3 w/ parts from clifford performance and still build a screamer. Ford design guys just say that the turbo block is better. I've seen these a the local pic-a-part, but what you have to watch out for is cracked heads. I've got 2 of these engines at home but I wont part w/ them. Gonna use one for my Morris Minor build up.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Almost every non-turbo block I have seen cracks the rear bolts holes, they helicoil them to repair them but it doesn't fix the problem if you ask me.

You would be best off getting a 2.3 turbo from a junked T-Bird and rebuild it. The 2.0 litre Kent engine is far superior in every respect...especially the rods-good to 7000 rpm plus. A friend had one that ran up to 9000 rpm with Carillo rods but with factory head (ported) and block and made 300Hp on the dyno with a single 750 double pumper, it was installed in a Cortina. Very fun car to drive, almost like a Formula I car for the street.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:51 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Actually, in the early cars it was a 1.6 pushrod Kent motor (the basis for the Lotus engine/head), the 2.0 is a cammer from Germany (Cologne) and is very stromg and is the basis for the Formula Ford series cars. I think the 2.0 is superior in most ways to the 2.3, although the later ones(especially the turboed ones) have come a lomg way. There is a later 2.0, but it is just a shrunken 2.3 and shouldn't be confused with the early '70's one.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You are right Woodz, the 1.6 was the Kent engine. I stand corrected.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:51 AM

Cool

Yeah, the 2.3 ford is really popular up here, and in Pennsylvania, to the point where they are hard to find in boneyards now. I thought it was a goof when a guy asked me to build him a couple several years ago, but after driving one during hot laps one night, I have to say I was wrong (I used to HATE 4 cylinders). They really are tough little motors, and good performers with a little work. The best trick I have learned is to use 6 cylinder Chevy rods (5.7) and shorter pistons instead of stock Ford rods. A couple of other guys I know use Buick v-6 rods that are re-worked as well. This involves turning the crank down, but is well worth it for the added torque (much like the 383 SBC). They also run a high performance cam and tricked out heads, all of which you can find online for decent prices. WWW. Speedwaymotors.com is a good place to start, and good people to deal with. :-)
Old 01-30-2003, 02:22 PM

Thanks a bunch everyone...
Old 01-30-2003, 04:03 PM

check your pm's 59fairlane
Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Last journal entry: Adolessent J.R.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airport Towing
Yeah, the 2.3 ford is really popular up here, and in Pennsylvania, to the point where they are hard to find in boneyards now. I thought it was a goof when a guy asked me to build him a couple several years ago, but after driving one during hot laps one night, I have to say I was wrong (I used to HATE 4 cylinders). They really are tough little motors, and good performers with a little work. The best trick I have learned is to use 6 cylinder Chevy rods (5.7) and shorter pistons instead of stock Ford rods. A couple of other guys I know use Buick v-6 rods that are re-worked as well. This involves turning the crank down, but is well worth it for the added torque (much like the 383 SBC). They also run a high performance cam and tricked out heads, all of which you can find online for decent prices. WWW. Speedwaymotors.com is a good place to start, and good people to deal with. :-)
Thanks for the Speedwaymotors Link...

I have (2) Blocks (Bare) & (2) Heads (1) Bare & (1) Complete.
When I Find the Numbers on them How do I Find what the Numbers Mean?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Ford 2.3

Fairlane,
Goggle Enslinger Engineering ,they have just about any thing you could poss want for 2.3.
Hope this helps
Good Luck

Kenny

Lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Last journal entry: Adolessent J.R.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1
Fairlane,
Goggle Enslinger Engineering ,they have just about any thing you could poss want for 2.3.
Hope this helps
Good Luck

Kenny

Lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.

Enslinger Engineering : COMPLETE FLOP! No Such Company!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Another ghost from the past! APM did you notice the date here? This thread was over 5 1/2 years old.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.