Ford 2.3L engine sometimes wont idle, hesitates on takeoff - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 2.3L engine sometimes wont idle, hesitates on takeoff

I'm having a problem with my 2.3L ford. Its a 79 pinto engine. All stock, carbureted, mileage unknown.

I personally think there is a vacuum leak but I dont know for sure. Accelerator pump is working - so that eliminates it as the source of the hesitation on takeoff. In fact I dont know if hesitate is the word for it. Its like it takes off, bogs out for a split second and then takes off again.

Then it just randomly wont idle. Sometimes it will idle fine and sometimes you have to keep your foot on the gas a little at stoplights to keep it from dying. I've been chasing the problem for a long time and i'm really getting sick of it.

I haven't successfully found any vacuum leaks (using carb cleaner) but I really think there probably is one. What else could it be?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 AM

hello,

It does sound like an intermittent vacuum leak...

Do you have a power brake booster? Maybe the diaphragm is leaking vacuum.

When was the last time the carb was disassembled and inspected? Maybe some sediment shifting around in there?

Clean fuel filter?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

This car doesnt have power brakes. The carb has been apart recently and I cleaned it out. It does have sediment in the bowl that somehow manages to escape TWO fuel filters. I dont know how, but it does.

The fuel filters are new as is the electric fuel pump.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

is the vacuum advance and mechanical advance working properly on the distributor, also get someone to follow you when you are driving your car to see if it flooding out when you take off . it could be in the carb. the dirt is probably coming from inside your fuel lines
Old 07-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

I'll have to look at the advance mechanisms. I think they are working tho. How do I check the mechanical advance? Rev it up with a timing light connected and look for the timing mark to move ? The vac advance you can see the lever move from outside the distributor if it is working, so ill check on that.

There is a fuel filter right at the inlet of the carb. Cant be dirt from the fuel lines.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Both advance mechanisms are working. It seems the mechanical advance doesnt start working until its revved way up, but that may be how its supposed to be on this engine. If it were a chevy V8 id say it would need to be all in by the time the mechanical advance even starts working on this thing. But the vac advance works as soon as you rev the engine.

Timing is about 24 degrees initial and I believe the specs say 20 degrees for auto trans so it isnt too far off.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 PM

hello,

You did mention automatic transmission? Are you for sure the hose/line from the transmission to the carb is not leaking vacuum. What about the diaphragm in the transmission module? Is it leaking vacuum?

My understanding of some microscopic sediment getting into the carb goes something like this:

The gasoline passes through the filters as liquid fuel. The filters catch any solid particles down to a certain size micron. The gasoline in the carb even though filtered.. begans to coagulate into this reddish brown stuff that you almost need a microscope to see clearly. The carb engineered for clean fuel starts messing up with that reddish brown sediment.

Just two weeks ago I had a lawnmower that would only stay running if you pumped the primer bulb. I thought I'm going to take that carb apart and find what is messing with it. The only thing I could find was that curious reddish brown sediment everywhere. I gently blew everything off.. put it back together.. now it runs better than it ever did. Never got to see what was jamming it other than that reddish brown junk.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.