ford 200 inline 6 question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

ford 200 inline 6 question

Hey guys I bought an 80 mustang today&it has a 200 inline 6 I have a few questions first,can the intake be removed while the head stays?I've been told diffrent things,also is this motor the big bell?Id love any info on this motor&car thanx guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have the same motor and trans
it`s a c-3 light duty small bellhousing.
the engine however has a small and large bolt pattern to get creative with.
im rebuilding my inline six since it spun a bearing due to lack of oil from caked on sludge deposits turning loose from *seafoam* and clogged my pickup tube. The rod was spun even before i got the car i bought it for 350 bucks with 109,000 original miles on it. i took the engine apart and found out that the cliner with the spun bearing was missing HALF OF A COMPRESSION RING!!! i was furious and confussed all at the same time. couldnt understand what kind of a NUT would do such a thing. anyways. the inline six is an awesome engine.very easy to work on and such. cam kits are available from summit. so are the headers. www.cliffordperformance.net, and www.classicinlines.com are good sites.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

'80 is a big bell engine, it is 3/4 of a SBF bolt pattern, and there is enough there ( 1 bolt won't fit ). to put just about any V8 transmission behind it.. you may note that the cylinder head and block casting is E0-BB. which stands for 1980 big bell.. no factory North american 200 I6 cylinder head came with a removable intake, and even the rare ( only 2 or 3 made ) experimental "X" casting head which is just a normal E0-BB head with a 2bbl carb plate cast in, is an integral design also... the intake can be milled off, and you could create a removable intake if you wanted, it has been done, but the E0-BB is known as the best factory north american head as it has the biggest valves and the best port flow... but if you want to make a lot of HP, ither turbo or N/A. those '80 engines can be turboed with a junkyard turbo fairly easy. but the real HP comes with the classic inlines alloy cylinder head, and a turbo. can push 10 PSI thru a stock '80 engine because the factory comp is 8:1 and the alloy head retains the factory cylinder head chamber size of 57cc.. if you get the compression to 8.5:1 it should gain more power with less boost... if you want N/A. just get the compression up with some Tempo/taurus 2.3 HSC pistions, that will also bring the pistions to zero deck. and you can mill .065 off of the head, which will yield around a 9:1 compression ratio
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

will the stock cast pistons hold up to the everyday usage of a turbo on these engines is my question?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 AM

Last photo:

yep, shouldn't go over 10 PSI tho.. lots of stock blocks have been turbocharged successfully, and can be daily drivers.. they just need to be in tune. going lean will burn up the pistons
Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 AM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I know nothing about turbo charging&I mean nothing.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

nither did I when I built my turbo 6. but with the help of www.fordsix.com, I figured it out.. you don't need a perfect sized turbo to make power, or even an intercooler.. just make sure the turbo is for an engine of simmilar size. so the turbo from a 3.8 GN is just about perfect, and there are also lesser versions of the same turbo that were used on Regal Sports of the 70's ( carb'd drawthru setup )
Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Do u have any pics of your turbo setup?
Id like to take a look . PLZZZzzzzzz

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.