Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford 200 Inline build questions

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JeffB 
#1 ·
looking for some knowledgeable rodders to give me some advice on a 200 inline six rebuild.. I have a 65 mustang with an # matching 200. i purchased a 289 with a c4.. but have changed my mind and want to soup up the 200 six. I have know idea where to start. ?? parts list.. i guess. finding the parts? best place.. reasonably priced. ? not sure what i may even want to do.. Three carbs? to carbs? :pimp: someone want to collaborate with me. on this project.

#4 ·
The '65 block is not the best block for the high performance builds, but it might work for your needs depending on what they are. It's a 4 main block. The engine got 7 mains in later years. Just don't turbocharge your '65 block and it will be fine.

What I would do.. Use your cylinder head since it's a small chamber head ( 52cc ), along with some Tempo/ Taurus 2.3 HSC pistons. That's the 4cyl 2.3 OHV engine, not the more well known SOHC. That will put your compression around 10:1, mild cam and possibly a bigger carburator if your carb is not the Autolite 1100.. I don't think 1965 uses a spark control valve but if it does, your limited to your carb since I don't think there are aftermarket or original distributors that fit the 1965 engine. I don't remember the exact change year

#9 ·
Logic???
We don't want any of that around here ;)

Seriously though you should look at the actual gains. I have played with a few Chevy inlines and you can drop some serious coin just on bolt on's. You will hear the difference and feel it (a little bit). But the engine is what it is. Be realistic with what your expecting to get out of that engine.

Now if you dig under and into that head then you can make some power. Once again your not going to be competing with a v8 or even most newer 4 cylinders. The engine is what it is and there may be other better areas to improve upon in the car or just leave it alone.

There is something to be said for originality, NOS, and parts matching cars that deserve a level of respect. There will always be someone faster then you. But having a car you can easily find parts for when stuff goes bad vs being the guy who just found out the company that made his custom parts no longer exist or has merged and is no longer making the part will have you enjoying or wishing for the stock parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.