Ford 200ci 6-cyl Overhaul - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 200ci 6-cyl Overhaul

I have a bare block of a 200ci 6-cyl. It had about 54,000 miles when pulled. I wanted to build this engine and temporarily swap it with the original 6-cyl in my '66 mustang so I still have a way to get to work and whatnot. I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to have the cylinder bored over. The pistons i got with the block have .030 engraved in them so the engine is .030 over. This engine wouldnt get too many miles put on it (maybe another 50K at very most) but should I get it another .010 over and buy .040 over parts or would I be able to just throw it together with .030 over parts?

I'm asking this because I'm not sure how much wear the cylinders have on them. it was 54K miles to it will have some but i dont know if its enough to have to have it bored over just to remove it again soon.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
"I'm not sure how much wear the cylinders have on them."

Neither are any of us.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Moostang
I have a bare block of a 200ci 6-cyl. It had about 54,000 miles when pulled. I wanted to build this engine and temporarily swap it with the original 6-cyl in my '66 mustang so I still have a way to get to work and whatnot. I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to have the cylinder bored over. The pistons i got with the block have .030 engraved in them so the engine is .030 over. This engine wouldnt get too many miles put on it (maybe another 50K at very most) but should I get it another .010 over and buy .040 over parts or would I be able to just throw it together with .030 over parts?

I'm asking this because I'm not sure how much wear the cylinders have on them. it was 54K miles to it will have some but i dont know if its enough to have to have it bored over just to remove it again soon.

Hi,
Take the engine to the machine shop & have it checked,
you may only need to have it honed, w/new rings & bearings.
And if you have the time you could do it yourself.
Why did you take the engine apart? w/only 54k I would have
just swapped it in.

http://www.inliners.com/
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...&Store_Code=CP
Old 06-27-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi,
Take the engine to the machine shop & have it checked,
you may only need to have it honed, w/new rings & bearings.
And if you have the time you could do it yourself.
Why did you take the engine apart? w/only 54k I would have
just swapped it in.

http://www.inliners.com/
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...&Store_Code=CP

The engine was in my Diesel Technology class i take. The owner said it was a bad engine. She had no experience with anything like this but it started acting weird and soon was not driveable so she gave it to us.

My class pulled it apart and found it was because of a bad timing chain and gears. Whoever rebuilt the engine before must have been too lazy to throw it in for some reason.

By the end of the school year all we had left was the block, crank, and 5 out of 6 connecting rods and pistons so i brought it home.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:49 AM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

If all you have is the block, crank and 5 rods, you'll be better off to get a complete engine and build that. You should be able to get one practically free.

Brian
Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if you give me the casting number off the cylinder head, I can tell you what it is.. they varied every year and big diffrences in power potential with the later 1's.

When I rebuilt my 200 CI, My goal was turbocharged so even tho my std bores were within spec, of out of round and taper. I punched it .030 over anyway. you will find the most wear on the front cylinder, you can gauge the wear by the ridge on top.. using stock dished pistions, you will see the line approx .025 from the deck surface in each bore.

I think the only available sizes for pistion overbore for that engine is .020,.030,.060,.080 you may have to go .060, and that's really the last rebuild for a 200 as .080 rebuilds are sketchy w/ them

If you do not have the timing cover and oil pan, those parts can get pricey as they no longer make them, but these engines are given away by people doing V8 conversions. finding a cheapie or a freebie may be your best option, then you can use the best block, and have a parts block.... Also, if you do not have the main caps, you would need to find another set, and then have it line bored
www.fordsix.com

Last edited by matt167; 06-27-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
if you give me the casting number off the cylinder head, I can tell you what it is.. they varied every year and big diffrences in power potential with the later 1's.

When I rebuilt my 200 CI, My goal was turbocharged so even tho my std bores were within spec, of out of round and taper. I punched it .030 over anyway. you will find the most wear on the front cylinder, you can gauge the wear by the ridge on top.. using stock dished pistions, you will see the line approx .025 from the deck surface in each bore.

I think the only available sizes for pistion overbore for that engine is .020,.030,.060,.080 you may have to go .060, and that's really the last rebuild for a 200 as .080 rebuilds are sketchy w/ them

If you do not have the timing cover and oil pan, those parts can get pricey as they no longer make them, but these engines are given away by people doing V8 conversions. finding a cheapie or a freebie may be your best option, then you can use the best block, and have a parts block.... Also, if you do not have the main caps, you would need to find another set, and then have it line bored
www.fordsix.com
I Found .040 pistons.. after that there is only .060 and .080

I actually got offered a freshly rebuilt 289 for $900 and was thinking about just using that... Would the stock 6 cyl. rearend be able to handle it? I think i once heard somewhre that it can handle upto 300 HP which sounds right but just looking for a second opinion

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.