Ford 300 inline six in a Ford Granada - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good job

put the radiator fan on the top of the radiator and duct air to the bottom of the rad from the grill. I had a 390 in a 47 Ford Coupe and used a electric fan in front of the rad and it actually ran to cool. 390's like to run at 190 degrees to 200 in my experiences,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have no experience with this I6 engines but I believe they don't run too hot since they are not performance engines, I have no easy choice but installing the electric fan up front and test drive it to see what it actually does.

here in the shop I service the Toyota Highlander and Lexus LX hybrids and they have no mechanical fans but a pair of big electric fans in front of the radiators, no one ever complained of them running hot.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 PM

I'm sorry, I'm new around here but I have to ask. Why???

Why a Granada? Why pull out a V-8 and put in a six that has less power and torque and uses the same amount of gas??

I guess I just don't get it. Please tell me where the cool factor is?

Mm
Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
I have no experience with this I6 engines but I believe they don't run too hot since they are not performance engines, I have no easy choice but installing the electric fan up front and test drive it to see what it actually does.

here in the shop I service the Toyota Highlander and Lexus LX hybrids and they have no mechanical fans but a pair of big electric fans in front of the radiators, no one ever complained of them running hot.
With the properly sized fan, you will be fine with it in front. I ran one on a turbo 3.8 Buick without any problems.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmfh
I'm sorry, I'm new around here but I have to ask. Why???

Why a Granada? Why pull out a V-8 and put in a six that has less power and torque and uses the same amount of gas??

I guess I just don't get it. Please tell me where the cool factor is?

Mm
Look at his location, just might have an impact on what is available.

This probably states it best: "this is my son's first car, it's a '75 Granada he got for free, pretty decent interior and fresh paint, didn't come with engine and steering box.

He's already overhauled this Ford 300 CID Inline six from a Ford truck that I got in the shop, it's free so it's going in the car mated to a fresh C4 tranny."
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 PM

Why? let's explain,

my son got the car for free from my brother, it's an old model but in pretty good shape

my brother bought the car to pull the 351W engine, trans and power steering to transplant into a mustang, so the granada was left powerless.

since my son needed a reliable and cheap car to go to college I decided to help him make it run again, neither him nor I wanted a rice burner for him,

I had this 300 I6 engine in my shop so he got the engine for free also, he worked in the car and I helped him so nothing is being spent in labor costs, he doesn't need a hot rod and I don't want him driving one, so the six is perfect I feel comfortable with it.

but the most important part is that hes learning a lot about working with cars, nex time he'll start a car project on his own, and I'm sure it will be some old american iron.

now it has become some sort of "cool" project to work with, we're pretty excited and can't wait to make it run.

the granada is nice and has lots of room and a nice stereo can be installed inside, he's saving money for that.

maybe, and just maybe I'll let him (read I'll do the work) install a turbocharger in the I6... that'll be cool..
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I pulled a 351W from a Granada once, it had a disc brake 8" rear axle in it...Yours have a disc rear axle?

Worth a few pennies to those wanting a disc rear axle in their Early Mustang.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM

I'm sorry I had to ask, its something you just don't hear people doing these days. Not sure how, but I missed where you said it was a free car, and had the engine in the shop already and so forth. It begins to make much more sense, but sorry to say I just didn't know about all that.

I guess when I think Granada, I think of one my Dad had, 240 six, and more damn electrical problems then I can remember. It was a roomy and comfortable car that didn't have enough power to get a new driver in trouble.

Thanks for explaining it better. I hope your Son learns a lot and you two have some good bonding while doing this car. I wish my kids were interested in these kind of projects!

Good Luck!

Mm
Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 PM
never 2 old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
this is my son's first car, it's a '75 Granada he got for free, pretty decent interior and fresh paint, didn't come with engine and steering box.

He's already overhauled this Ford 300 CID Inline six from a Ford truck that I got in the shop, it's free so it's going in the car mated to a fresh C4 tranny.

there are two main issues, first and simplest is that the engine is longer than the "small" 250 sixes that ford puts in the granadas so no room for a mechanical fan up front, an electric unit in front of the radiator solves that easily, the real problem is down there, the oil pan has a huge REAR sump, the granada has no room for a rear sump.

I posted the above, plus a question about reversing the spindles to convert to a front steering, in the steering & suspension section, and seems like it would be a better option dealing with the oil pan mod.

besides finding a pan with a front sump from a 4x4 truck which will be quite unlikely over here, can someone tell me some tips about the fabrication of the modified pan? should I weld it bolted to the block to prevent distortion? TIG or brazing? can I make it shallower to hold 1 galon and a quart only?

and second question, what do you think of using the torque monster 300 I6 in a granada? I don't want a fast car, just a reliable and economic mean of transportation for my son, he'll have to buy his own gas.

thanks

Augusto

Sounds like quite a project. Hope everything goes good for you and your son.Know you will have a great time bonding. This will be something you both will never forget. Be sure to post more pictures as you go along.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
I pulled a 351W from a Granada once, it had a disc brake 8" rear axle in it...Yours have a disc rear axle?

Worth a few pennies to those wanting a disc rear axle in their Early Mustang.
nope it does not, I think those were some sort of "sport" model granadas or mercuries, but the drums are enough for this one, sure it would be good for 'stangs, but I have my eyes on explorer rear axles for performance swaps, disc brakes and 4.11 gears already installed.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 AM

indeed, bonding with my son is the best part of this project
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

The 5 years I spent with my father rebuilding the car he had in high school and college...were worth any amount of trouble my friends got into back then.

America used to be about ingenuity and making things work with what you have on hand; now its about writing checks and logging on to paypal.

Augusto; keep up the work, I always enjoy what you're doing and your perspective on this stuff.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 PM

thanks, I believe over here we are making hot rods the same way you guys did 40 or 50 years ago, with ingenuity and whatever comes at hand.

saludos amigo
Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 PM
boatbob2

Hi Augusto...........

Hi,a buddy of mine,put a 300-6 cylinder into a 60 Ford Falcon,carb was too high (touched hood) so he built a short ram manifold and used a 4 brl carb,he also made up a neat set if headers, it REALLY woke that 6 cyl up,they are very strong engines,please photos when youre finished...
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi,a buddy of mine,put a 300-6 cylinder into a 60 Ford Falcon,carb was too high (touched hood) so he built a short ram manifold and used a 4 brl carb,he also made up a neat set if headers, it REALLY woke that 6 cyl up,they are very strong engines,please photos when youre finished...
after it's done I might go EFI, I have a complete salvaged TBI that I guess would work fine here. sure I'll be posting pics as the work progresses.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.