Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ford 300 six cylinder custom head
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think it was Bruce Sizemore that ran an H/MP Maverick that held the class record for a while during the 70s. It ran a regular head that was tweaked (either before the slicing or class requirement). I think that a race head is available through someone that is all aluminum. It used to be listed in the FRRP catalog. It had a description amd Alan Johnson Cylinder Heads listed as the vendor and contact #805-922-1202. Don't know if it's still good. I think it was based on the Cleveland design. At the time the first heads were done, I think only cast iron were available so they were furnaced brazed.If you sliced them, any shop that repairs heads could do the work. Semi or Farm tractor repair shops would probably have the location of one near you.Now, with all the Aluminum small block head available, you could create a real bad 6. You might even be able to get some rejects since you'd be cutting them up and remaching anyway. I'd have to look through some old books, but I think it took 3 heads to get 1, although it may have been 2. The .10 difference in bore spacing( but the bolt pattern is the same square four as the smallblock) makes me think 3. But it should be noted that Ak Miller built a '67 Mustang at about the same year and created a 300 out of a 240 ( for the younger ones a 300 used to be a truck engine and the smaller 240 was used in the cars,LOL) with a set of Webers and bigger valves and cam, it turned in the twelves, that's in the late 60s. So it can already be made to haul.