Hot Rod Forum banner

ford 302 engine build

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rangerkid 
#1 ·
i have a 302 with stock heads and hasn't been rebuilt i want to run this at the strip but i am wondering what type of cam, intake, and carb i should run with out spending to much money

#2 ·
Of course it will depend on how much money you have.
The old saying is the truth: "Horsepower costs money, how fast do you want to go?" As popular as the 302 is and how cheap parts are for it you should be able to do well with the light ranger chasis. Keep in mind the combo must match to make good power numbers. This means you cannot count on one piece such as the cam or carb to give you a additional 50 horses. For street engines I focus on building all the low end torque I can because it`s made low in the RPM range. Horsepower is made in the upper RPM band and how often are you at 5000 RPM on the street? Hardley never. Give it a low gear, a good tranny, and a engine that makes good low end torque and you`ll have loads of fun. I recommend a 351 windsor over a 302 any day of the week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.