Ford 302 factory tbfi wiring for a 79 f100 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 3
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ford 302 factory tbfi wiring for a 79 f100

i have a 1979 f100 truck with a 302 v8, i have a 1984 302 HO with a trottle body fuel injection,i'd like to keep it and install it on my truck but dont know how to wire it how ever i did keep the computer from the 84 ford ltd the motor came out of. any help would be greatly appreicated

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2005, 12:15 PM
aka Duke of URL
 
Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,821
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you are saying you have an 84 5.0L HO TBI engine, ECM, main harness, and engine harness out of the donor vehicle you want to install into a 1979 truck chassis with no idea how to hook it up?

The easiest way would be to find/buy the wiring diagram for the car the 5.0L came out of. The engine harness is fairly straight forward but you have to consider an electric fuel pump, return fuel line, inertia switch and power-up for the ECM and fuel pump.

FOR RACING PARTS offers a manual to go along with their harness kit for a later SEFI for five bucks. It should have enough information to get yours installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SC
Age: 51
Posts: 275
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The flat out easiest way to deal with it is to yank the throttle body unit off and bolt on a 2BBL carb in it's place and drive on. I've done this a few times myself, it's easy enough.
If you are determined to get some use out of the TBI system, it's going to be a bit tough. Nobody much has done such because the later style "real" EFI has so much more performance potential. Not that TBI is bad, it's just not that great and has traditionally been outperformed by carburetors in all but cold starting ability. I can only suggest following tips from folks who have retrofitted later EFI systems. Though EFI has indvidual injectors versus the TBI only having the two, both systems have the majority of the various sensors and controls in common. Though no TBI use an air mass flow meter, both systems need the exact same oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor, and so on.
Good luck with it. And BTW, and '84 5.0 TBI engine from an LTD is NOT what I would term an "HO". I'm pretty sure Ford didn't call it one either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2005, 04:50 AM
aka Duke of URL
 
Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,821
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
And BTW, and '84 5.0 TBI engine from an LTD is NOT what I would term an "HO". I'm pretty sure Ford didn't call it one either.
The 1984 MUSTANG/CAPRI 5.0L engines were both referred to as HO. The TBI was on the automatic and a HOLLEY was on the manual. During that time period, they were considered HO as even the offerings from GM were poor.

There is a lot to be said of TBI over carburetion, except maximum high RPM airflow on a full race engine.
_____________________________________



Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools


-MEL ENGINE FORUM-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 3
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
So you are saying you have an 84 5.0L HO TBI engine, ECM, main harness, and engine harness out of the donor vehicle you want to install into a 1979 truck chassis with no idea how to hook it up?

The easiest way would be to find/buy the wiring diagram for the car the 5.0L came out of. The engine harness is fairly straight forward but you have to consider an electric fuel pump, return fuel line, inertia switch and power-up for the ECM and fuel pump.

FOR RACING PARTS offers a manual to go along with their harness kit for a later SEFI for five bucks. It should have enough information to get yours installed.


sorry to say i didnt keep the wiring harness from the donor vehicle all i was able to keep was the engine and the computer out from under the dash. I would carb the engine but im not sure the carb is good but thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 3
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR
The flat out easiest way to deal with it is to yank the throttle body unit off and bolt on a 2BBL carb in it's place and drive on. I've done this a few times myself, it's easy enough.
If you are determined to get some use out of the TBI system, it's going to be a bit tough. Nobody much has done such because the later style "real" EFI has so much more performance potential. Not that TBI is bad, it's just not that great and has traditionally been outperformed by carburetors in all but cold starting ability. I can only suggest following tips from folks who have retrofitted later EFI systems. Though EFI has indvidual injectors versus the TBI only having the two, both systems have the majority of the various sensors and controls in common. Though no TBI use an air mass flow meter, both systems need the exact same oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor, and so on.
Good luck with it. And BTW, and '84 5.0 TBI engine from an LTD is NOT what I would term an "HO". I'm pretty sure Ford didn't call it one either.
GysyR, the engine and all the sheet metal along with a sticker i took off the underside of the hood calls the engine a high out put the breather has 2 air inlets on it even the valve covers match a ho a friend has
thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2005, 05:48 PM
aka Duke of URL
 
Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,821
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc01

...sorry to say i didnt keep the wiring harness from the donor vehicle all i was able to keep was the engine and the computer out from under the dash. I would carb the engine but im not sure the carb is good but thank you for your help
The easiest way out then would be to carb it (the standard transmission car those years {84/85 MUSTANG-CAPRI} were carbed-automatics FI). You could use any intake and a better carb than the stock 4180. You would have to find a suitable DURASPARK II distributor and harness/module.

Or, find the correct harness(es) from a donor car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is the Ford 302 block better than the 351W? BarbWire Engine 63 06-01-2006 06:35 PM
How To Wire Up A 302 Ford Ranger izzymiddleton Electrical 2 05-02-2003 01:49 PM
'88 Ford 302 EFI CustomFord Engine 1 04-14-2003 04:46 AM
1983 Ford F-150 Pick-Up Truck Wiring Diagram wojy37 Electrical 4 01-05-2003 10:35 AM
Whatever happend to these guys? hot_rod_kid Hotrodders' Lounge 20 12-17-2002 10:20 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.