ford 302 fuel injection and aod trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 08:43 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ford 302 fuel injection and aod trans

I am helping a friend on his 48 ford truck project,and we need a little information.We have a 1986 fuel injected 302 and aod trans{not sure of the year of the trans} can we use an inline fuel pump with this injected motor{truck has an aftermarket fuel cell,and no in tank pump}also what about the trans do we need a computer to control the shifting? I did a search and did not find this info anywhere else. I understand that this engine has a roller cam and needs a distributor with a steel gear,Is this correct?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Don't know about the Ford AOD or the distributor gear, but yes, you can use an externally mounted high pressure pump. One like the MSD #2225 will work. You can also get one similar that will work at Carquest, P/N E8248 for about the same price. I bought one and it works fine with my 383 SBC MPFI system and has a lifetime warranty.

And don't forget, you will need a return line to the tank.

Good luck with your swap, Ed www.edgesz28.com

Did You Know?
Old 08-06-2005, 09:12 PM

what does a dis gear have to do with it...if its an older style regular aod it shifts by a linkeage ..connected to the throttle..if its a newer one it is computer controlled.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevystang
what does a dis gear have to do with it...
He asked three separate questions.

Ed
Old 08-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

The Mallory Unilite distributor will work with the roller cam. I don't know how it will work with the EFI computer.

I went carbureted with my '90 5.0. It is in a '61 Ranchero. Once you get that thing going, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:48 AM

Last photo:

The AOD is mechanically controlled, no electronics
other than backup light & neutral safety switch
neither of which are required to operate the trans.

That 302 (is it an HO out of a Mustang or is it throttle
body injection?) if it's an HO takes 39 lbs fuel pressure -
that's what the regulator on the pass side rear of the
fuel rails keeps it at.

If you don't have a distrib with the motor, just go
get a 302/5.0 distrib out of any 86 - 93 Mustang 5.0.
It will have the correct steel gear on it.

Just FYI, here's some info on AOD's

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article111.html
stock AOD converters have a notoriously low stall speed

You can use a V6 AOD converter for a cheap upgrade
with no durability problems in a relatively stock V8 5.0
There's no lockup clutch in them - lockup is accomplished
via an input shaft that is mechanically connected inside
the converter on the front end and drives the direct
clutch pack on the back end.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

302 ford distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevystang
what does a dis gear have to do with it...if its an older style regular aod it shifts by a linkeage ..connected to the throttle..if its a newer one it is computer controlled.
I am not Ford guy,but from what I have heard that using the wrong distributor gear will chew the gear off the roller cam. the flat tappet and roller cam use different gears,but I dont know which is which.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

302 ford info

Thanks for the help guys,I will be at the garage later this week and will try to find out exactly what we are working with.the trans came with the truck,and the engine came from another rodder who rebuilt it and never installed it. The truck had a 302 with it, that was "rebuilt",but when we pulled the intake,the valleywas full of sludge. if it was rebuilt,it must have been a long time ago. seems that just about everything that is for sale is "rebuilt".
Old 08-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 chev
I am not Ford guy,but from what I have heard that using the wrong distributor gear will chew the gear off the roller cam. the flat tappet and roller cam use different gears,but I dont know which is which.
Yes, the correct Ford distrib gear (at least when new) has a yellow stripe
on it. It's a steel gear.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

302 fuelie, it is really a 5.0....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 chev
I am helping a friend on his 48 ford truck project,and we need a little information.We have a 1986 fuel injected 302 and aod trans{not sure of the year of the trans} can we use an inline fuel pump with this injected motor{truck has an aftermarket fuel cell,and no in tank pump}also what about the trans do we need a computer to control the shifting? I did a search and did not find this info anywhere else. I understand that this engine has a roller cam and needs a distributor with a steel gear,Is this correct?
Auto Zone sells a US made brand fuel pump that the car manufacturers use... under the part number E-2000. It is a frame mounted pump that will supply all the fuel for a moderately modified 5.0 and not suck a lot of electricity and not noisy. Another good application is the Ford pickups and vans with single fuel tank systems that have a frame mounted pump. These pumps suck fuel up well, and support the fuelie system. Dual tank systems have electric pumps in each tank to enable the switching of supply tanks, so their frame pumps do not work. Use the standard Ford replacement inline filter for best results. Fuel pump About $ 100 with lifetime warranty. I also recommend a normal steel-cased inline fuel filter, like a GF2, on the suck side of the pump to filter trash before it ruins the pump.

"Steel" roller cams require gears made of differnt material to prevent failure than those used on cast iron cams.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:22 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Does the transmission have an Assembly Code Tag on it? You should identify the year if possible. Also be aware of the TV cable setup to control shifting.

The dist. gears are available separately through FORD RACING PARTS. If it is an 86 (and has not been modified), it has the roller cam and the proper TFI distributor.

On the fuel pump. A rail mount can be used but be aware that some early applications used two different pumps. One would be in the tank (low pressure transfer) and the pressure pump would be on the rail. Tricked a whole bunce of techs over the years...

You want the pump to sit below the actual fuel level to allow fuel to be drawn by gravity to the pump inlet. This prevents the pump from heating itself (that is reason pumps are in tanks) and burning itself out. A large pre-pump fuel cannister and a finer filter before the fuel hits the rail. You need a return line also as mentioned. Don't forget about venting the tank.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:55 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

39 chev,
I used a similar setup in building my T bucket. It's a 302 from an 87 Ford Van. I used the AOD and the fuel injection. The other posters are correct on the AOD not being shifted by the computer. However, the there is a computer connection to the speed sensor on the transmission. I don't believe it was for the speed control either, that had it own control box that the speed sensor also connected to.

I connected the fuel pump to the bottom of the tank an the fuel gravity drains into the pump. I did not use the in tank pump.

I'm not sure which EEC you have, but mine controlls all spark timing and advance fuctions. It is the TFI style distributor.

The motor is basically stock, but it has over 2000 miles since I put it on the road this year and everthing seems to be working fine.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If I remember right, the E-2000 is a low pressure pump that wont supply enough for a multiport FI system running in the high 30PSI range.

However, you can pick up a inline fuel pump designed for an 85 4cyl FI Ford Ranger at autozone for like 89 bucks. Provides me with all the pressure and flow I have needed so far.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_Freud
If I remember right, the E-2000 is a low pressure pump that wont supply enough for a multiport FI system running in the high 30PSI range.

However, you can pick up a inline fuel pump designed for an 85 4cyl FI Ford Ranger at autozone for like 89 bucks. Provides me with all the pressure and flow I have needed so far.
The E-2000 is the pump that was used on the German built Ford Merkur 2.3 Turbo and puts out zero vacuum pressure on my 5.0 HO 5 spd. installed in a 63 Fairlane. I have had no pick up problems and no fuel delivery problems (10 years) and the return line goes into the fuel tank drain plug hole.

"zero vacuum pressure" = contrary to popular belief, fuel pressure is set by removing the vacuum line from the regulator simulating full throttle zero vacuum conditions/ maximum fuel pressure. Checking the regulator pressure with the vacuum line installed and while the engine is idling does not give spec readings.... This is why many people end up with excessively rich mixtures.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.