Ford 302 Interchange - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 302 Interchange

Hey guys,

A friend of mine burned up the engine in his 88 4x4 Bronco (EFI). He said it started running bad, pulled over, and popped the hood. It was glowing red on the manifolds.

I compression checked it yesterday and found a completely dead cylinder only halfway through. It still runs but I also hear a disturbing clatter coming from the motor as well; sounds like the valves or lifters. Anyhow, because he is down on his money, the decision is to pluck a motor from the local "u pick/u pull" junkyard.

As you can guess from my handle, I am chiefly a GM guy so I need some help with the interchange. Its an automatic btw. Obviously, an 88 Pickup or Bronco would be ideal, but what other years would be OK? What about a car motor like a 5.0 Mustang? I figure a car motor would be tuned differently, but we might have to take what we find.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

-J

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 AM

Last photo:

5.0 aka 302

From 1985 to 1993 all 5.0's would be OK to swap as these are all roller cam motors,It would probably be best not to use a 5.0 H.O. since your Broncos' computer would not be compatible with it, also using the F.I. from the Bronco would keep things simple.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info. We will definitely be using the old computer, FI, and accesories. The salvage yard is only going to let us have the "long block" assembly unless, of course, we want to pay more.

-J
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
From 1985 to 1993 all 5.0's would be OK to swap as these are all roller cam motors,It would probably be best not to use a 5.0 H.O. since your Broncos' computer would not be compatible with it, also using the F.I. from the Bronco would keep things simple.
truck 302s or 5ltrs did not use roller camssoany 302 could easly be adapted from 1980 to last built,roller cam engines would work as long as truck manifold and injectors used. cliff
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 PM

SBF swapp'in....

So long as you use the "use-able stuff" off the Bronco any 289/302/5.0 long block will work. All the way back to the 60's! Just swap the water pump and etc. off the blown engine.
6sally6
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
all jacked up on mountain dew

the HO engine will work with your computer as long as you use your intake also that same computer will run a 351 5.8 as long as you got the intake for that engine but you will have to build you a new y pipe
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sally6
So long as you use the "use-able stuff" off the Bronco any 289/302/5.0 long block will work. All the way back to the 60's! Just swap the water pump and etc. off the blown engine.
6sally6
This is not true, you will have to use a 5.0, 289-302's are balanced differently. On top of that they have a different firing order, your computer is not compatible with the old 289-302 firing order. In 1985 Ford went to roller cams in the 5.0's which also meant the distributor gear is different than the old 302. I can list more issues but do you really want to hear how different the 5.0 is from the old 289-302. Your best bet is to look for a 5.0 out of a 85-96 truck. I think the 97 and later 5.0 engine went to the P head but I am not 100% sure on this.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 PM
all jacked up on mountain dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
This is not true, you will have to use a 5.0, 289-302's are balanced differently. On top of that they have a different firing order, your computer is not compatible with the old 289-302 firing order. In 1985 Ford went to roller cams in the 5.0's which also meant the distributor gear is different than the old 302. I can list more issues but do you really want to hear how different the 5.0 is from the old 289-302. Your best bet is to look for a 5.0 out of a 85-96 truck. I think the 97 and later 5.0 engine went to the P head but I am not 100% sure on this.
the only diffrent firing order is on the HO engine his rig is not mass air controlled so as long as he has the right firing order the computer will run it..speed density fires the injectors bank to bank all the 5.0 302's didnt come with a roller cam they were set up for them but most trucks didnt have rollers until mass air was introduced in trucks
Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 AM

Onebadmerc IS correct...to a point......

For an absolute swap over with nothing changed...no thinking involved... no common-sense deductions made...he's right...it's not a STRICTLY bolt-in swap. But if his GM MECHANIC need a strictly..."pull his engine...slap another FoMoCo engine back into its place" kind of swap over...he has more problems than a burned up engine. The cam and distrib gear from the junkyard engine can be used. Just re-wire the cap. A different flex plate will need to be used(probably get THAT from the same junkyard too)
Not arguing....just stating a few things will need to be changed to use an older FoMoCo engine. This IS a hotrodding site after all! It sounds like a certified mechanic is asking the questions. Even they consult manufacturers engine manuals before they dive into a strange engine.
Sorry if I messed anyone up,
6sally6

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.