Ford 302 Merc Cruiser 302 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ford 302 Merc Cruiser 302

I am a hot rodder trying to make ends meet in a bad economy. A good friend and fellow hot rodder was given a freshly rebuilt Merc Cruiser 302 complete with all stern drive components... vin#4468131. (1974-1977 188HP 302ci) I also have a 1926 Ford Street rod with a locked up 1969 351 Windsor and Ford automatic trans. My friend brought the engine to my garage and said it is mine if I can use it... In this economy I hate to pass up a fresh V8. My question is... if I remove all the Merc drive components and add a car intake and carb will Ford 302 car exhaust headers bolt up and can I fit an automobile flex plate to the crankshaft?
Another way of stating this... Is the Ford 302 block and crank the same as the Merc Cruiser block and crank for the same time period?
Will the Marine cam work OK or will I need an auto cam shaft.
Free is Great but I don't want to have the price of a crate engine converting this engine for street use.
Thanks in Advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7142.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	59036  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

That engine may be a reverse rotation. if so you will run into some problems trying to use this engine without completely re-building it for your ride ground up , to many differences IMHO but someone else may chime in and have a better suggestion for you. JMO

Cole
Old 10-19-2011, 03:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way 2 Many Projects
I am a hot rodder trying to make ends meet in a bad economy. A good friend and fellow hot rodder was given a freshly rebuilt Merc Cruiser 302 complete with all stern drive components... vin#4468131. (1974-1977 188HP 302ci) I also have a 1926 Ford Street rod with a locked up 1969 351 Windsor and Ford automatic trans. My friend brought the engine to my garage and said it is mine if I can use it... In this economy I hate to pass up a fresh V8. My question is... if I remove all the Merc drive components and add a car intake and carb will Ford 302 car exhaust headers bolt up and can I fit an automobile flex plate to the crankshaft?
Another way of stating this... Is the Ford 302 block and crank the same as the Merc Cruiser block and crank for the same time period?
Free is Great but I don't want to have the price of a crate engine converting this engine for street use.
Thanks in Advance.
The automotive exhaust manifolds or headers will bolt up to this engine. Same for the flexplate and intake, etc. They are the same basic assembly as used in cars and trucks w/the mods needed to make them seaworthy, obviously.

Generally speaking, the biggest difference between a marine V8 and an automotive V8 is the cam specs and the possibility it's reverse rotation like Cole said. Reverse rotation engines were mainly used in dual engine applications, to counter the torque effect of the other engine similar to twin engine aircraft.

You can take a look at the timing set- most reverse rotation engines will substitute direct gear drive timing gears for the normal gear and chain arrangement. This allows the engine to rotate reversed at the crank yet have the cam, distributor and oil pump rotate in the normal direction.

Whether or not the cam will be usable depends on the specs. IIRC at one time the '80's Mustangs were advertised to have "marine cams". I don't know if that was literal or was saying they were made to have more torque at a certain RPM range or what.

Last edited by cobalt327; 10-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

More Information on 302 Merc Cruiser

Thanks for the Information.
I am relatively certain that the rotation is correct in that my friend also has the single stern drive lower unit for this engine as well. But I will check it out. I'm getting my confidence up to start the tear down process. More later.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the Information.
I am relatively certain that the rotation is correct in that my friend also has the single stern drive lower unit for this engine as well. But I will check it out. I'm getting my confidence up to start the tear down process. More later.
Ayuh,.... Go fer it,....
It's pretty much a carbon copy of the 302 Ford was puttin' in their pickups that year...
Mercruiser just added their components to the Ford long block...

The odds of it bein' a clockwise motor are slim to none...
Old 10-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

302 marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo
Ayuh,.... Go fer it,....
It's pretty much a carbon copy of the 302 Ford was puttin' in their pickups that year...
Mercruiser just added their components to the Ford long block...

The odds of it bein' a clockwise motor are slim to none...
the cams wher diferent(used 351 fireing order) which eliminated knock at idel re higher compression in marine,will make a good engine,most have a 4v manifold,cranks ar the same. good luck cliff
Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 PM

Glad to see some boat buddies here.

Yeah the merc 188 is virtually identical to the auto 302 EXCEPT, it has a 351 cam AND heads (note above timing order). All accessories will bolt straight up. It does not have EGR intake if that bothers you at all.

If I remember correctly, the WOT on that engine/cam is 3900-4100 RPM. Generally, marine cams are ground for more torque at lower RPM. As an old marine mech once said, you can smoke the tires but won't get very good mileage.

Good luck
Old 10-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

M/c 302

Quote:
Thanks in Advance.

I have worked on many of those as a marine mechanic, but it's been awhile. Check the heads, M/C used 351 heads on some of the small block fords. If it had a stern drive, then it's std. rotation, the crank is reg. ford car crank. if it was me, I would stay with the marine cam, ALOT of low-mid range torque, the firing will be different, the distr. will not have vac. advance, the carb will work also, it's tuned for that cam. The BIG PROBLEM may be SALT water, if it's been in salt water, the salt gets into the cast iron block, even after hot tanking, it may clog your cooling system up, been & done that. If the heads are 351's,. you may want to buy the marine head gaskets, that's if you pull the heads. I have seen many of those blocks get pin holes in the cyl. wall from salt water. The water pump is different, may will work OK in a car, check the oil pan, I'm sure it will have a rear oil sump oil pan on it, if it's a problem, then jsut put a reg. 302 pan and pick up tube on it., good luck, Wayne
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Easiest way to confirm the rotation, is to tickle the starter with some volts and see which way it goes.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

Most I/O engines are normal rotation, that is they rotate clockwise, when viewed from the front of the engine, the end with the accessory drives. The flywheel will be away from you. There is a set of bevel gears in the top of the outdrive, and the vertical shaft in then outdrive also turns clockwise, viewed from the top. In the lower unit, the forward gear, on the propeller shaft is at the front of the lower unit casting. This in turn causes the propeller shaft to also turn clockwise, viewed from the rear of the boat.

I know it sounds like I have three geared shafts, in mesh, all turning clockwise, but consider the point of view. Viewed from the back, the crankshaft is turning counterclockwise. Just like your car. The rotation is changed to clockwise in the gears at the top of the lower unit. In the lower unit, the pinion on the drive shaft is inside the propeller shaft gears, and so depending on the point of view, it can appear the rotation is not changed.

I do have a boat my deceased dad owned, that also has the Ford 302/ Mercruiser 188 outdrive on it. I believe it is a two barrel carburetor. I can dig around and see if I can find the service manual for it, it might have a lot of the specifications on the engine you are looking for.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.