Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - ford 302 motor mounts?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

motor mounts

Detroit did a lot of work designing motor mounts, I was there 15 years. I always try to use the basic factory design when doing an engine swap. Get a speedway catalog and see what they offer. The old Hurst style mounts, outrigger style is one piece that bolts to BOTH sides of the engine. I don't like them when using a modern transmission that has a rear transmission mount, the motor mounts at the front and back are too far apart and creats too much stress. Speedway builds a crosmember that you can use the mounts shown in the earlier picts 66 GMC posted The weight of the engine -force is down , NOT leverage shearing the block bolts. speedway also sells universal brackets you can weld to your frame for the factory mount. 910-1831. I have always built my own but I have lathe, mill, plasma, torchmate pattern style cutter, etc. factory style mounts with the safety strap or THRU safety rivet don't require a chain and turnbuckle for a street car. In the 60's the GM motor mounts would tear apart and the engine would move over on the steering shaft rag joint and you couldn't turn the steering wheel. GM got a lot of bad press when they had to send a crew to repair the POPES Caddy limo.

Last edited by timothale; 12-28-2012 at 06:46 AM.